MPP

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
20 times the cart's nominal in peak then. That is +26dB. When all needles will mistrack in the +18dB anti-skating test record torture groove. Some will bounce off even. But we have seen the 1812 canon cart-arm jump outs so it has been done on music records also but not often.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It should have been particularly bass heavy so they needed the wider grooves like in old maxi singles. If on the edge and the phase wandered off a little on a track then it can kick. Do they actually hit a piano with a sledge hammer on record or is it only in their video?

Tonarm

Stange, when i go to the Rintelen page to find arguments that a round needle is the only way i find that he uses the Magic Diamond cartridge as the best he found. Going to the Axis website i find that the Magic Diamond has a high polished elliptical needle and response goes to 40kHz, impossible with a round needle. Why was the Shibata designed in the first place ? A round needle with not decode 4 channel records.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My first cart was a Stanton 881S. I remember working in summer when a teenager to get that and a Sinclair ZX Spectrum the next year. Was boasting a "Stereohedron" tip. Greek geometry word to say Shibata. My 103R Denon has a spherical. Much better cart overall. Its the sum, not the parts for that blogger guy I guess.

I have 2SA1015 and 2SC1815. My ones have around 200 Hfe and there is a group with higher Hfe too. Yes, Rbb`is around 30 Ohm on this ones. I use them in my Nobrainer Phono.

I have plenty of these, do you think are good as pre-drivers?

Joachim Gerhard said:
The 2SJ74BL and 2SK170BL are certainly not complimentary. That is known from research done by EUVL. The Fets can be made complimentary though by using a slightly higher Idss 2SJ74 and then degenerating it until the curves fit.

Yeah :/... the higher degeneration on the P-fet is the only reasonable solution, thanks.

2SA1015, 2SC1815 can be viewed as better BC550, 560. They have lower Rbb of ca. 30 Ohm compared to 140 Ohm so better log conformity and lower voltage noise. They also have better complimentary at higher idle. Usually the PNP goes astray at higher idle and has a lower early voltage. That makes this Toshiba pair lower in distortion in a parallel symmetric design with higher idle then 2mA. That goes deep into BJT physics and is beyond this post after a long day of work on my side.
Maybe people like Keantoken can jump in to explain this in detail.
Off topic i found this :
The Zero-Transistor IC, a New Plateau in IC Design - Application Note - Maxim

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When i get one i will put it under the microscope.
There is so much ******** out there today in magazines.

Indeed even in those reviews on the German DENON website one wrote this the other that.

Mancher Tuner veredelt das Denon auch durch „Retipping" mit einer schärferen Nadel.
Nicht so das DL 103 R, auch bei dieser Version setzt der Hersteller auf die klassische Rundnadel.

Some tuners refined the Denon by "Retipping" with a sharper needle.
Not so the DL 103 R, even in this version, the manufacturer places on the classic circular needle.

LP 2006
-----------------------

Nadelträger (Alu, hohl) und Abtastdiamant (elliptisch) entsprechen laut Datenblatt exakt dem Standard-103.

Needle carrier (aluminum, hollow) and Stylus type (elliptical) in the data sheet correspond exactly to standard-103.

HomeVision 2006