MPP

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes I actually knew that, that is why I run the pink band 13 L+R that is in the middle of that record, and not the left only pink band track 1. I think that the cartridge manufacturers must be balancing a lot by ear... So you suggest I try 1nF to 10nF shunting my prefered Rload and check out transient subjective distortion in the treble? What kind of cap material you found better at it?

BTW, If anyone has the Cardas ''burn in'' record with the smiling guy plucking the acoustic bass on the cover, please dont use it for FFT, it is skewed spectrum.

tonight i had an idea for two varieties of the MPP that are even simpler.
The input is not a transimpedance stage any more but that has the advantage that other cartridges with higher impedance can be used. The bipolar version has around 250 to 500 ohm impedance depending on the idle current and a 6 dB noise advantage compared to the
un-bypassed MPP. it can be as low as 0.3VqHz. The fet version is slightly noisier and has a high input impedance. noise in the fet version can be reduced by paralleling. i hope this circuits are use full because they are ultra simple and should work well :
i call them ASAP-B and ASAP-F

Attachments

• ASAP Basic Structure single ended 1.0.TSC - TINA.pdf
    52.6 KB · Views: 566
  • ASAP - FET.TSC - TINA.pdf
    48.5 KB · Views: 445
please do not hammer on my head but i used Epcos MKT. They are made for EMV suppression in cars. they sound excellent and because i was happy i did not try something else. i should try the new MKP´s from Vishey-Röderstein or even a polystyren or teflon cap
i tried the MKPs and Styrens (LCR in england makes them) in my RIAA amps and they are excellent. yes, try 1n - 10n and tell me what you think. your fet riaa may sound very different from my bipolar although i am shure you solved the riaa math successfully.
thank you for alerting me on the cardas, i have it
concerning voicing of cartridges you are right. i watched Mishima San making a cartridge.
he uses a special Stax headphone with very thin foil and i think a self made equalizer. he has a kenwood direct drive with exchangable head shell . he listens a lot to choir music
and tries to deceifer how many voices he can here. then he adjusts the suspension and also puts tiny dots of laquer here and there. it´s amasing the whole space is not bigger the 2qMeters.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
To the contrary, I have a couple of Siemens axial MKT 10n ready. Many good MKT are better than many PP. Ask Jadis.:)
The FFT of the DL103R I have shown is through that fet phono, so no worries. I am having smooth transients even on metallic tweeters I use, but there is always more to look for. Will let you know hopefully tomorrow.

Attachments

• SiemensMKTnos81.jpg
    SiemensMKTnos81.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,393
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
i watched Mishima San making a cartridge.
he uses a special Stax headphone with very thin foil and i think a self made equalizer. he has a kenwood direct drive with exchangable head shell . he listens a lot to choir music
and tries to deceifer how many voices he can here. then he adjusts the suspension and also puts tiny dots of laquer here and there. it´s amasing the whole space is not bigger the 2qMeters.

Thankfully you know the right Mishima. Not the other.:D

Attachments

• mishima.jpg
    mishima.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,360
to salas i found the guy that measured cables and found that reflexions matter in the audio range his name is Cyryl Bateman i will add two pdf´s with his research on capacitors unfortunately i could not find the literature about the cables yet
anyway good night i go to sleep

sorry salas they are too big but you can find the work of bateman yourself on the web

Cyril Bateman published regularly in Electronics World (formerly Wireless World) on both speaker cable and capacitor performance.

Many citations but the ones that come to hand:

Measuring Speaker Cables, Electronics World, Jan 1997, p52-56
Speaker Cables, Electronics World, Dec 1996, p925-928
Understanding Capacitors (one of several parts) Electronics World, Aug 1998, p 640-644

from Cyrils references come many more texts.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I did the 10nF shunt on input load experiment.

Report:

1. It surely changes things.
2. Negatively so with my phono and cart. Cuts a lot of instrumental presence and detail, and breaks coherence. No less HF per se.

To do:

1. Check with 1n-3.3n silver mica and PP also. Not in my hands right now, but not far. So to follow your 5.5R and 10n relation with my 14R generator.
2. Use them 10n at the ground side of the input sockets straight to chassis, so to help clensing some gremlins possible to be coming in riding on the cable shield and listen. Best there would be COG ceramics with sort legs.

To ask:

1. Do you use shielded cart to phono cabling, or twisted one? Can it be that the 10n beneficially grounds some EMI/RFI in your case?

fine, i am happy i could help i use an old wire-world eclipse it is a hollow coaxial design i tried a lot of different cables for example AWG24 solid core tefzell wire twisted (that is wire-wrap cable for high tech prototyping and is tinned copper with foamed teflon isolation) i always come back to that old eclipse in my system it gives a very welcome "fat and warm" tone in my quite analytic system i sit very close to the speakers (less then two meters) and they are very far apart when you get used to that setup you miss dynamics and immediacy in other setups i will post some photos of my setup when i find the time i have a triplanar arm that has a box with rca jacks i connect all metal in the system to ground it is hard to explain in words so pictures describe the setup much better i also have a long copper pole buried in the ground and that goes to a jack where i connect things too although i use very wide band electronics i have no problem with hf and hum

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Is that the wide/near set up you used to recommend in the AP speakers firm products manuals?

I got that idea to ground very high frequencies at the input since the 10nF across the load worked against your results with my cart and phono and I thought they might be useful somewhere since I cut their leads enough, so I used them in the same notion we RF bypass a ground lift resistor. No special copper ground rod opportunity for me unfortunately. Ceramics at the input ring to chassis is an old tube practice in low level inputs. MKT in my case but my phono isn't that wideband anyway.:)

yes, it is the audio physic setup i did an AES paper about, only that i got more radical recently. i can listen to the speakers i have very close because they behave very homogenious.
yes you are right, you can put the cap where you use it. i do that on one of my pre-pres that has a floating supply and does not like a direct connection to the chassis.
whatever with a little patience and inspiration special grounding techniques can make a big difference i think it just needs a little empiric experimentation because it`s hard to predict although syn08 whould argue otherwise on the other hand my turtable setup should eat his vpi for breakfast ( oh, that was not very polite, sorry syn08)

I worked a bit on the ASAP-FET.
This version has lower noise and distortion plus adjustable offset. I call it ASAP-FET-LNLD. I like it.
Does anybody know where to get some low noise P channel-Fets ?
My friend is sales manager at Toshiba and even he could not help me. Toshiba stopped to make anything the do not make money with. He told me that in quantity the could only charge a few cents in the past per piece.
I would like to build it and listen to it. I tried N- channel fets from Linear Systems and they are very good. unfortunately they make no P channel. I see so many people searching for low noise P-channel that this could be a busyness opportunity.

Attachments

• ASAP - FET - LNLD.TSC - TINA.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 517
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A CLC prefiltered CCS fed shunt reg. Will help the op amp with loop Riaa to flesh out a bit too. You can set it to +/-15V for the op amp, and then RC drop n' filter/decouple down to the 1st stage. If you want one, I even got board art. Mind you it will imprint Salas sonic stuff dramatically on your phono.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
How many mA you think your circuit is going to constantly need per reg's side? So I will prepare the values for you. Also as a German speaker designer and Sonics owner, you must know companies like Mundorf. Can they make you a couple of 300mH 1A 6R-10R frame chokes? Something like the Hammond 159ZA.