Mpp - Page 38 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2009, 10:18 PM   #371
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
i used Stannol HS10 5silver, 1copper lead free solder. i took great care in tip temperature to avoid "grey" solder dots.
Hi Joachim, What temperature do you use for that solder? I have it as well, but stopped using it exactly because I was getting grey solder dots.

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th December 2009, 10:29 PM   #372
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately i have to do different temperatures for different jobs. Can be as low as 280-90 ° for small resistors, 330° for medium parts and more the 400° for bigger pieces. Itīs a pain in the bud. We use Metcal soldering irons in the USA that are easier to work with then my Weller station i use here. Somehow they adapt automatically to the situation. HS10 sound quite good but i think Kristall511 is even better. My friends in the USA use ETI Eichmann solder that is good too.
Old 17th December 2009, 10:36 PM   #373
diyAudio Member

Wrenchone, yes, inductive is a new world. The reason i have not tried commercial shielding
cans is that we are used to build prototypes our selfs with what we have but this time i run out of steam. Can not wait to hear more from your Lineac. I think is is a good circuit and it reminds me on old times. A friend of mine ( a very good HF engineer) always build single ended and i build parallel symmetric. We had endless discussions about what is better. I also learned a lot from JLH. I think he did a great job for coming up with quite simple solutions that still performed well for the time they where introduced.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:11 PM   #374
diyAudio Member

I'm the same way - I like to build things from what I have on hand. The circuit built and running sounds better than the one with the unobtainable "perfect" components around the corner.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:14 PM   #375
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Noboby talks about this circuit attributed to Jean Hiraga, can't remeber were on the web I found the original, this is my redraw, I don't think it was put into production.

Hope its of interest

Regards
James
Attached Images
File Type: png hiraga pre.png (45.3 KB, 338 views)
Old 17th December 2009, 11:15 PM   #376
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I am living near Paderborn in a small town called Brilon. It is half between Kassel and Dortmund. I would invite you anytime when it fits into my tight schedule. I am currently flying back and forth to the USA a lot because Sonics is now in Berkeley California and Quantummusic is here.
There is a yearly festival in Kassel. They hire a German installer that uses a line array that a friend of mine designed. True line, uses planar elements.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:23 PM   #377
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I just had a strange idea for a DC coupled version. Kind of Hiraga pre-pre, Pass B1. Itīs an ALFA, so do not build it yet.
Not that strange. Kent is the guy with the tripod steampunk speakers on Burning Amp's photos BTW. Well, those are really strange.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Kent.gif (3.8 KB, 329 views)
Old 17th December 2009, 11:34 PM   #378
diyAudio Member

tvi, that circuit is from Rambeyrolles also published in L`Audiophile. It was the first folded cascode that i have seen in audio. Unfortunately the 120 feedback resistor does make more noise then necessary and the MAT02/03 combination is no good for lowest distortion and symmetry because of very different Hfe. The PNP has very little. I stumbled upon that stone also in the beginning of my adventure. Anyway, it did inspire me. itīs a visionary circuit. The 120 Ohm could be much lower if you use stronger transistors for the cascodes. Something like BC140/160. If that problems are solved it should sound very well.
Salas, do you mean the festival in the tent ? Kassel is a very interesting town. I studied furniture design and Exhibition design there. Come to the Documenta, the biggest art show festival in the world.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:38 PM   #379
diyAudio Member

Yes, Salas, same idea but i whould try DC coupling. Anyway, i had never dreamed that i could make the Hiraga that good sounding. I really go through a period of simplification right now. Because i will not work on phonos for the next days i will look if i can steal time for your meaner shunts or are the minor shunts ?
Old 17th December 2009, 11:42 PM   #380
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I mean this festival. They also do the Sommer-Open-Air in Karlswiese.

Hide this!Advertise here!