MPP

Joined 2006
Paid Member
which capacitor values are you guys combining to reach 33,3nf and 11nf in the riia?
It seems to be a bit of a puzzle to get there and at the same time use a sensible quality capacitors:confused::D
I will start with amtrans poly caps
Ex: 8200p + 2700p + 100p for 11nF ....feel free to experiment... there is provision for an outboard riaa circuit in the main board.

As usual, i'll have a hard time picking between Blue and Orange.

Slightly boring to repeat the message, but these caps go for less than a dollar each on the web, likely cheaper than same value polypropylene from regular sources.

Attachments

• ColorKS.jpg
    ColorKS.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 305
KS (Polystyrenes) juicy stuff but I can only find them in ebay right ?

Not really.

There are still lots of shops that sell NOS parts as e.g. KS capacitors, examples are Pollin and Oppermann in your current backyard.
Easier than handing you a bunch of adressess for me is giving suggestions of parts to purchase.

For another example Philips KS443, similar boxed 1%/63V polystyrene, but yellow instead.
16x NOS PHILIPS KS443 10000pF 10nF 63V 1% STYROFLEX HI-END POLYSTYRENE CAPS! | eBay

Beauty of the trip to Paradise boards is that they're already laid out for boxed KS caps.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Just finished sorting the BC's (again) and numbered the board acording to the schematic... Please have a look and let me know if there are no errors.

Beautiful... we did talk about this with the betabuilders, and I asked whether we should put the component designators OR the component values on the boards.... in the end, the values won. Can't please everybody....

Joined 2005
Paid Member
which capacitor values are you guys combining to reach 33,3nf and 11nf in the riia?
It seems to be a bit of a puzzle to get there and at the same time use a sensible quality capacitors:confused::D

Hi, I used Wima FKP2 / 100V :

33.3nF = 3x10nF + 3.3nF + 220pF (since they came in a little too low)
11nF = 10nF + 1nF

I measured all caps to combine them so that the absolute value is as correct as possible, and the relative value (between the two channels) is as closely matched as possible.

Check out attached document that has Mouser ordering numbers, for easy reference.

Hope it helps....

Attachments

• RIAA components Mouser.pdf
    10.5 KB · Views: 127
6 cap positions to enable several combinations for a total of 33.3nF
2 cap positions for a combined 11nF.

Btw, for your amusement, there's a parts store in Poland that still has some 0.05% caps.
For example, a 6980pF + 4070pF is 11.05nF, is less than 0.5% off the 11nF mark, and difference between left/right channel of 0.1% or less.
Doesn't require a fancy calibrated LCR meter. :clown:

(iirc, they also had EMZ KS51 33nF/1%, less than $0.50 each)

More than 1% to RIAA value given. IMO vaste of time

Riccardo posted same different values from spec and maybe same more investigation is needed there if you realy need precise values he is the man.

I rather make sure the 2 sets left and right are pretty close.

Beta was built using parts as in BOOM I have posted whitout to much fussing about and it sounds real good