Mpp - Page 319 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2011, 12:38 AM   #3181
diyAudio Member

Here are some pictures i found with franks new arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2d11ocz.jpg (61.5 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg fmm8sw.jpg (40.4 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00389.jpg (36.5 KB, 302 views)
Old 27th November 2011, 09:54 AM   #3182
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Frank Schroeder won the turntable shootout. And yes, Berlin is confirmed.

jan
He said on preparation it is necessary to have the winning player, not the "best" one.
Old 27th November 2011, 12:40 PM   #3183
tabams is online now tabams  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Headwise EQ, SG phonopre stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Yes, that equalizer will work with some modifications. Just shift the midrange EQ to 3kHz,
the bass EQ a little deeper and the treble EQ up to over 10kHz. As far as i can tell you should only change the values of the caps. So in the midrange you should use 1/3rd of the value that is given for example. Just put this circuit behind my input stage. You can take even out the inverter but then you have to revers your speakers.

I take notice of all your recomending notices, your tips are very helpfull, thanks :-)
Old 27th November 2011, 02:52 PM   #3184
diyAudio Member

Tabams, are you planing to build something now ? If i can help i do.
Old 27th November 2011, 06:39 PM   #3185
diyAudio Member

I listened to the Tanzmusik today and also obtained some curves. I had already checked out the bass tone regulator. The sound can be changed from tight, dry and fast to full, fat and groovy.
Good. The treble tone regulator i listened to today is also very interesting. The sound can be changed from somewhat dark to very bright. In the full on position the sound is extremely open with a lot of details. Yes, it is very bright but interestingly not sharp or hard. I found from my experience with speakers that this sharpness comes more from having too much around 5 kHz and this treble tone EQ works more on the overtones. Ultimately to advance the treble control to maximum is a bit confusing and tiring but i could imagine that it can blow life into a very dark recording or one that uses less then 75usec for EQ, for example recordings that are made to DIN standard that is 50usec, when it is used in moderation.
Also shown is a bass boost switch i added that gives about 1dB plus at 20Hz. A supple effect. The input transformer has a zobel network that can be optimized to the impedance of the cartridge in use. I have 2 Ohm, 6 Ohm and 20 Ohm positions. It also can be switched of. As you see the effect is again supple. I will publish some square wave responses where you can see the effect better.
As you may have noticed the response in the RIAA position is a bit down ( -0.5dB ) at 20kHz. That is because i over damped the input stage a bit. I need a 2.2nF cap but i fitted a 3.3nF. I will change that. When you move the EQ potmeters the gain also changes a bit. This effect is not shown because i normalized the curves. I will show the real curves overlaid in my next post.
Old 27th November 2011, 07:51 PM   #3186
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Cool work... it is quite interesting to correlate your subjective listening impressions wih the graphs.
Old 27th November 2011, 08:18 PM   #3187
diyAudio Member

Here are the overlaid curves:
RIAA - black
Bass Tone - full up and down
Treble Tone - full up and down
There is some gain dependency around 1kHz, but not much, i think this works very well and i can not hear noise when i turn the pots. This is even better.
Old 28th November 2011, 03:12 PM   #3188
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't it be possible to do something similar with the current shunt/Riaa in the Starless design...??
Old 28th November 2011, 04:18 PM   #3189
diyAudio Member

Yes,by substituting the resistors with pots. That has an effect on the DC offset of cause.
That version really needs a rather fast servo.
Old 28th November 2011, 04:30 PM   #3190
diyAudio Member

Or a coupling C.

Hide this!Advertise here!