Mpp - Page 310 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2011, 09:26 AM   #3091
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

... In the process of building a starless phono stage (with helpers), and the Nobrainer PSU to go with it, plus a little headphone amp all in one case - that will be my private toy to play around with adjusting turntables..... more later......
Old 14th November 2011, 02:45 PM   #3092
diyAudio Member

Good, this is interesting. Then you can compare the much more complex FPS to the Starless.
I am still in Vienna after the Klangbilder show. We had a Suesskind Rauschfrei at work. That is the FPS with some additions. For example i can short Pin 3 to Pin1. That way i was able to compare balanced to unbalanced. I thought balanced brought out even more details and "air". For one particular customer this was a bit too much and a preferred the "simpler" sound of the unbalanced. Anyway, the show was very well attended and the sound that most exhibitors had was better then i heard in Munich at the High End show. My personal best sounds of the show was Manger with a new very nicely made active speaker and Avantgarde. I usually do not like horns so much but they had a very big room with the speakers far from my listening place and it worked. Daniela Manger was streaming with a Micro Mega over Wifi and Avantgarde had Doc Feikert on the turntable with Kuzma arm and Lyra Skala. The setups could not be different but both played music so well that i could forget about the technology and only listened to the music. There was also an interesting speaker from Podzus - Zellaton, the Emotion. I heard that this 2 way system does not use a crossover on the bass-mid. The sound showed great potential but the setup was not finished when i came into the room. I missed the Trenner and Friedel presentation. I met people i trust that recommended that room to me.
Old 14th November 2011, 03:03 PM   #3093
diyAudio Member

Sound And The Story : Handy (Jam) Organization : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
Old 14th November 2011, 04:51 PM   #3094
diyAudio Member

Our setup at Klangbilder 2011 in Vienna :klangBilderWien's Channel - YouTube
The blue light comes from the Suesskind Rauschfrei.
Old 14th November 2011, 10:45 PM   #3095
diyAudio Member

looks like a very small room.... interesting tweeters......

hopefully you will see (and hear) my starless at ETF..... case is drilled, now i need to solder the circuit, will use perfboard. transistors are selected....

one question, then NPNs and PNPs i have are matched for current gain, but between them the gain is different, do you think that may cause a problem?
Old 14th November 2011, 11:10 PM   #3096
diyAudio Member

You can run into problems with offset. You can adjust the emitter resistors. Small differences here have a big effect on the offset. That is the only problem when you do not use servo. The offset you get will take away a bit of dynamic range. I think plus minus 100mV is more then good enough and even plus minus 500mV tolerable. The effect on the sound will be minimal. When i build the prototype of the circuit i did not even match the BJTs. Maybe thermo coupling will help the drift but i did not try that.
Old 14th November 2011, 11:31 PM   #3097
diyAudio Member

The room was 26qm, so it is bigger then it looks. It was jammed with people and equipment. We do not know if we can make it to ETF. We would love to make it happen though.
Old 15th November 2011, 12:59 PM   #3098
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot, I think I will put servos then - it's just one more opamp per channel and a couple passives, and removes a lot of problems. And this would allow to have a fully DC-coupled system from pickup to headphone in one box....
hope to see you there
Old 15th November 2011, 02:09 PM   #3099
diyAudio Member

I hope to see you too but it may get tight.
Old 15th November 2011, 05:18 PM   #3100
diyAudio Member

I am still searching for a low distortion transimpedance line amp. Here is my latest thinking. It is a folded driven cascode. Other then the Hawksford or bootstrap cascode this is driven by the source resistors of the input Fets. It is potentially quite linear and does not have such a high output impedance so that the voltage that can develop over the gain setting output resistor is limited too much. Here is an interesting paper about J-Fets :
http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~ph...Files/bsc5.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Low Distortion Folded Driven Cascode.TSC - TINA.pdf (7.1 KB, 104 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!