MPP

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Saw that too, I think its a lot of components... Paradise is a good example of how that can be achieved with much less components, and in my opinion much more elegant. But I am not a phono stage designer at the level of you or Self, so who am I to tell....

This is what "Paradise regained" looks like right now. Schematic is captured, placement of components done, routing has started. This now has the current source on the left side, input stage in the middle, the RIAA elements and current source next to it and very close, and the output buffer. The servo is at the bottom in the middle, close to the buffer. The shunt regs are where they were before. Board dimensions are the same as before. More as it progresses.....

Very nice :)

Maybe this simpler design is the way to go.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I had a loger discussion with MiiB and he thinks the problem could be in the current mirror. I rebuild it now from a Cascode Wilson ( with feedback ) to a Cascode Widlar ( without feedback ) that the new Paradise also has.

It may be "brute force" but do you think it might be worthwhile to check if we use 2N4401/4403 in the current mirrors? They are ok-ish lower noise and also lower current gain, but I am not sure about the impact on noise and circuit performance...

:up:
It may be "brute force" but do you think it might be worthwhile to check if we use 2N4401/4403 in the current mirrors? They are ok-ish lower noise and also lower current gain, but I am not sure about the impact on noise and circuit performance...

I was thinking abaut 2N4403/4401 but was reluctant to make suggestion as my experience in this is very limited.

When I bought the 337 I also got a 1000 strip of 2N4403 for other project
(Sallas uses them on Reflektor as current mirrors).

I can run the batch on the Curve tracer and sorth same out for you to try

If possible I wuld like to swap same 2N4403 for 2N4401.

For example there are BCs with extention 16 ( BC327-16, BC337-16) that have Hfe from 100 - 250. The 2N4401 and 2N4403 have Hfe around 60 and that is too small i think. Also we found that the BCs are true complimentary and very low distortion and they sound very good. They also have very low flicker noise. I do not like to give that up after all the struggle we went through. They are "our" transistors.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Paradise regained

Here is the new layout, after checking we'll proceed with the new PCBs. Hope you like it!!

Attachments

• paradise R2 layout.png
    paradise R2 layout.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 479