Mpp - Page 278 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2011, 06:02 AM   #2771
Werner is offline Werner  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
TDK has a new affordable turntable. It looks really good.
It looks good. From a distance. I have had my hands on it. Sadly it is a rattling piece of cheap junk with a thick layer of cosmetics.
Old 29th September 2011, 02:07 PM   #2772
diyAudio Member

Thatīs bad. At that price one may not expect more but nevertheless this is disappointing. Has anybody tried the Audio Technica table that looks like a Technics ?
I am looking out for affordable players because some people i know got interested in vinyl
again when they heard my system. They just are not prepared to pay several 1000nds
of Euros for a decent setup. The new Rega may be the most affordable i can recommend at the moment. On the last Frickelfest i heard a restored Lenco L75 that sounded really good. In the old times i liked the bigger DUAL players very much. I thought they had better tonearms then Thorenz.
Old 29th September 2011, 02:11 PM   #2773
diyAudio Member

Has anybody tried one of those :
Attached Images
File Type: png RP3 1.png (141.9 KB, 210 views)
File Type: png RP3 2.png (106.4 KB, 210 views)
Old 29th September 2011, 02:13 PM   #2774
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Quote:
Thatīs bad. At that price one may not expect more but nevertheless this is disappointing. Has anybody tried the Audio Technica table that looks like a Technics ?
I am looking out for affordable players because some people i know got interested in vinyl
again when they heard my system. They just are not prepared to pay several 1000nds
of Euros for a decent setup. The new Rega may be the most affordable i can recommend at the moment. On the last Frickelfest i heard a restored Lenco L75 that sounded really good. In the old times i liked the bigger DUAL players very much. I thought they had better tonearms then Thorenz.
I too like the Lenco when properly dealt with. Have a good look at this forum - some people go to great lengths, but still not too expensive a route for a real high-end table.

<http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php>

Good luck,

B.
Old 29th September 2011, 02:20 PM   #2775
diyAudio Member

The next best thing i could think of is the Well Tempered Simplex :
Well Tempered Lab Simplex Turntable Review
I heard the bigger model, the Amadeus, many times and it sounds marvelous. Even compared to much more expensive gear. It has a very special way to reproduce male voice and it does not loose oversight in complex material. When you are a fan of art rock or jazz rock from the 70th this is your table. What i can not understand though is the geometry of the tonearm. It is so grossly of from the usual that it is scary. Martina and i plan to look into that. We will get an Amadeus soon so we can experiment with different adjustments.
Old 29th September 2011, 02:21 PM   #2776
diyAudio Member

Thanks Brian. I will look up that forum.
Old 29th September 2011, 02:29 PM   #2777
GaryB is offline GaryB  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Has anybody tried the Audio Technica table that looks like a Technics ?
One of the online magazines, Tone Audio, seems to like the Audio Technical PL-120. You can see a short review here:
Audio-Technica PL-120 turntable – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

or if you want to read more and don't mind downloading a big file (43MB!) then download issue 11 and you can read the full review starting on page 9.
TONEAudio Magazine Issue 11 – Magazine | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

I haven't listened to this turntable myself, so I'm only sharing 2nd hand info. But the review does seem promising.

---Gary
Old 29th September 2011, 02:46 PM   #2778
diyAudio Member

Thanks for sending me that link. This is what i needed.
Old 29th September 2011, 02:53 PM   #2779
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

IMO the Rega P3 is quite onestly sounding. (And there are numerous aftermarket mods that can make it really sing)

The Technics 1200 has very good bass but the arm is nothing to write about.
Old 29th September 2011, 02:59 PM   #2780
diyAudio Member

I have a little Rega turntable myself that was made for Goldring. It sounds very lively and engaging although it is a bit short of seismic bass.
I think the arm is really good and the low mass philosophy has something going for it.
I preferred the Pink Triangle over the Linn in the early 80th although the Pink had many flaws especially concerning speed stability. After that i had a Goldmund Studio that blew them all away. Actually not a high mass design by itself.

Hide this!Advertise here!