MPP

Joined 2005
Paid Member
First, I changed the input network (loading resistor and connectors) for my FPS to the same as in my Paradise, now both have Dale resistors and rotary switch with silver connectors. It did make a change towards more details and better resolution, although it was not huge.

Then I spent a few hours playing with both FPS and Paradise, both with headphones and loudspeakers, and one of my favourite records (Dead can dance live 2005). I still find that the FPS is slightly more "gentle" and "elegant", whereas the Paradise is a touch brighter and more forward. Both have the same details in my opinion, its just a very slightly different presentation.

I like the bass better in the paradise, it seems a little more defined. One thing that struck me when listening with loudspeakers was that the location of instruments and singers, the space, is breathtaking with the Paradise - I did spend a lot of time though to make sure the caps and resistors in the RIAA networks match to each other as precise as possible (if I remember correctly, I could get to better than 0.1%). Maybe I should take a look at these components in the FPS.....

Did you get the parts I sent?

I think what you hear is also what i have experienced. Fet´s have a slightly mellower tone, call it warm, call it elegant, it is hard to describe. When you are used to tubes it is maybe easier to listen to Fet´s.
Bipolars are more crispy and tighter in the bass. One explanation i have is the lower 1/F corner and they have more Gm.
Have you checked the RIAA precision again with another method ?
Maybe there is a slight difference that explains some tonal differences.
Some sources say that 0,2dB in octave to octave balance is just audible.
Yes, maybe your Paradise has better channel match then your FPS. The FPS i have, made by Pilgham Audio is plus-minus 0,1dB accurate so maybe it is another reason.
Anyway, i am very happy that the Paradise images well. It is important for me.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Here is my next take at inverse-RIAA, based on a schematic that Joachim was kind enough to send me. The components are ALL measured using an Agilent LCR meter that has just recently been calibrated, and they match to better than 0.1% (1kHz, 500mV). Still need to put this into an enclosure and try it out....

Forgot to mention, this has two symmetric inverse RIAA channels so 4 in total.....

Attachments

• my inverse RIAA.jpg
    my inverse RIAA.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 320
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I think you also experience that you use much better parts choices then the rather ordinary parts that come with the FPS. Still i think for what it is it is a bargain.
The parts you took for your build are also my favorites, and i listened to many over the years. One part does not make a big difference but it adds up in total.

I agree. The FPS has done so much for my system, and my ability to hear more, it is fantastic. And I could not spend 10,000,- on a phono stage "off the shelf".... you all know why ;-)

Maybe I should really try and replace a few components in the FPS to see if something can be improved. First thing would be the power supply. In fact, now that the layout is done it would be quite easy to make the "Frans" regulator a standalone PCB - maybe there would be more people interested than just myself?