Mpp - Page 270 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2011, 01:36 AM   #2691
diyAudio Member

What are they ? Russian ?
I took a little rest over the weekend. The last weeks saw me very busy designing and building with my team 3 new phono stages for the Milano Top Audio show. They will be shown under the L`Art du Son label with Well Tempered turntables and Decca cartridges.
Martina will be there to demonstrate.
Nevertheless i build one Starless input stage. I could not make it work floating but this is a good thing. I would have needed a separate supply for the buffer and this is not necessary any more. GB is more or less the same then the PEN circuit so i do not see a big advantage in cascoding the Fets. With unselected Fets and BJTs and 1% resistors i have some input and output offset. That can be trimmed away or servoed. I will build the circuit nevertheless. Maybe it sounds better. As you may know me there is also a plan B. An even simpler MC phono. I gave it the name "Naked Truth". That one is not possible to simplify any more or it does not work.
Old 12th September 2011, 08:20 AM   #2692
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Russian FT-3
Old 12th September 2011, 08:39 AM   #2693
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I believe that caps should be mechanically stable... which Teflons rarely are.. to me the best caps is tin polystyrene..sad to see them disappear....I do also like tin/polypropylene caps...they seem to add a pleasant calmness to the proceedings, but lets not make this a cap discussion as I hope Joachim can make it work without...
Old 12th September 2011, 09:13 AM   #2694
diyAudio Member

LCR COMPONENTS|EXFS/HR 6800PF +/- 1%|CAPACITOR, 6.8NF, 63V | Farnell Danmark..

These are as far as I can tell extended Tin-foil/Polystyrene capacitors...would for me be good choice for a RIAA..both for correction and coupling...sorry to derail...again..
Old 12th September 2011, 09:32 AM   #2695
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

You are right about the riaa caps. I also found Tin-foil/polystyrenes to be the best choice on the Riaa, but for coupling I find FT-3 very good.

Why do you state Teflon are not mechanically stable ? I had issues with FT-1 but I do not know the cause (It seems the capacitance is no very stable with these).

FT-3 are very good but big.
Old 12th September 2011, 09:51 AM   #2696
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
What are they ? Russian ?
I took a little rest over the weekend. The last weeks saw me very busy designing and building with my team 3 new phono stages for the Milano Top Audio show. They will be shown under the L`Art du Son label with Well Tempered turntables and Decca cartridges.
Martina will be there to demonstrate.
Nevertheless i build one Starless input stage. I could not make it work floating but this is a good thing. I would have needed a separate supply for the buffer and this is not necessary any more. GB is more or less the same then the PEN circuit so i do not see a big advantage in cascoding the Fets. With unselected Fets and BJTs and 1% resistors i have some input and output offset. That can be trimmed away or servoed. I will build the circuit nevertheless. Maybe it sounds better. As you may know me there is also a plan B. An even simpler MC phono. I gave it the name "Naked Truth". That one is not possible to simplify any more or it does not work.
i'm very interested your phono match Well tempered,because i'm Well Tempered user,great turntable and affordable prices
Old 12th September 2011, 09:56 AM   #2697
diyAudio Member

The problem with Teflon is that the material does not crimp..and is very very soft,, so while having good electrical properties, it must rely on the wrapping for mechanical stability.
and thus they are sometimes coated with glass and other stabilizing materials.

Teflon capacitors also have the problem that the teflon-foil is rather thick, which in return leads to larger plates, and as such longer current paths and more/higher inductance. So that the price for the better isolation material is big sizes and compromises in other important areas,, and to me the Cons are larger than the Pros...I do think they perform well in certain areas, as they are very reliable, and thus have been used in military communication equipment.
Old 12th September 2011, 12:55 PM   #2698
diyAudio Member

I also experienced a long run in time in teflon cables.
Old 12th September 2011, 01:00 PM   #2699
diyAudio Member

samsamsam, the good thing is that one of the phono stages will be affordable and it is powered from the new Well Tempered PSU. It has a lot of configuring options. It has MM and MC switchable and adjustable in resistance and capacitance, it has a line input and a volume control and it has a headphone amp. I will later post a picture of the prototype.
I do not want to say more because this thread is not meant for promotion.
Old 12th September 2011, 04:39 PM   #2700
diyAudio Member

Here are photos of the prototype.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ELWMS front.jpg (63.4 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg ELWMS hinten.jpg (68.6 KB, 228 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!