MPP

It does quite nicely :) Gain dropped 3dB per same device count on a branch, so what we have here ladies and gents is balanced for sure. We have to use 4 by 4 on both sides, thats total of 16 fets per channel, to get us noise wise to same level as 2 by 2 on se. I know is no big news to no one, but thats lots of precious fets. Balanced has it's price. I look further into some issues like dc coupling tomorrow. That ac shunting caps (C3,7,8,9 in attached) are kinda spoiling picture, maybe it could be fully symmetrical horizontally too, and we could make signal summing by running opposite mirrors together and rearranging fet inputs. Then it also had balanced out for those who might be interested. Just thinking out loud here. Also, just for fun I attached how #5083 problem could be solved. I call this fighting mirrors with mirrors. But thats not balanced, just not ground referenced. Node 43 is ready for servo, so this might be useful for making se dc coupled.

Attachments

• #5108.PNG
    #5108.PNG
    47.8 KB · Views: 368
  • Solved.PNG
    Solved.PNG
    39.7 KB · Views: 366
Sorry, i was out for some hours. I got a major boost i sound quality in my system today by just placing my MPL Slim Panels more optimally in my listening room. I am working at the same time on a second set of speakers with field coil drivers, the Sommerwind.
I had placed the Sommerwind behind the MPL Slims, so i can take away the panels and listen to the Sommerwind. That placed the MPL Slims very close to my listening seat and blocks part of the back radiation. I had already found that listening as far away from the panels as i can improved the soundstage but then i sit smack at the back wall.
Taking away the Sommerwind allowed me to place the MPL Slim some 15cm further away and i am sitting now maybe 10cm from the back wall. They radiate to the back now without blocking. The resulting sound is extraordinary. Much smoother and spacious without loss of focus. Wider, higher, deeper and more sweet without loss of detail or dynamics. Not so well recorded material sounds less hard and better resolved. Classical
sounds awesome. I can play now also old material from the 50th and 60th on Decca, EMI, DG, RCA, Mercury without listening fatigue where before was a slight and penetrating hardness. Violins, horns and percussion sound wonderful, so do voices and choirs. The sound is more balanced and better separated the same time. Tonal color of instruments are much more easy to differentiate, for example open against stuffed trumpet. The bass got better too because i sit somewhat less close to the back wall. I could advance the volume of my subs by some 1 - 2dB without any boomy-ness. So i have more bass in total, that is faster and cleaner. This is so far the best sound i got in this room. I am planing now to layout a floor plan that i will publish on my MPL thread for later reference. I really unlooked the magic of my room and that after living ten years in this building. I called my son and we did a listening session, later i stuffed the Paradise boards some more. I have now enough pairs of transistors. I have stuffed all transistors to my boards already and have enough well matched pairs to stuff Michaels boards too.
Sampler, this is very good news, i really love that circuit. I am now convinced that we can make it play just fine. I like the balanced out option too when it does not compromise the single ended output. The name for this stage is simply : "Masterpiece".
In German it has interestingly two meanings : Meisterwerk and Meisterstück.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here are some pictures of the Hulk at ETF2010 taken by Jan Didden. One picture also shows Martina with Garrard and Hulk. The Hulk is also known since as the "Cristal" out of obvious reasons.
Yes Salas, this is one with your Shunts.

Oh yes the chopped hypnotize. What is that crystal about? Damping the sinks with weight? Or just aesthetic addition for the nice prism led reflections?

Looking at the Samplers circuit again we really should make it Balanced In - Balanced Out
with Single Ended Out option. Balanced solves the hum issue ones and for all and this stage could drive Euvl´s Balanced F5 directly for example.
Converting a turntable wiring to balanced is easy. I already have a design with Klotz microphone cable that sounds very well and does not cost much to make. Also a balanced volume control is easy to make working in shunt mode, so it will sound very good. Say we have 66dB of gain and can throw out the preamplifier.
On another issue i am working on a list of my reference vinyl records and CD´s. Maybe this is helpful when we interchange listening impressions. Jose, did you get your Mercedes Sosa ?

Last edited:
Hey, count me in for the paradise as well as the masterpiece!

(One day, I would need a cool preamp as well. Since now, I always found signal selectors to mudden the sound, so normaly I just replug cables...)

I would eventually want those 2sj74'th as well, have to check how many fakes I have! (have a bunch from reichelt, all low idss range)

Rüdiger

I just just hear the Constalation gear (Phono preamp power) on a walker airborne TT with the clearaudio goldfinger cartridge....all playing through the Raidho C1.1, must say that the see trough to the music, the layering and the physical pressence off all instrument was byond my wildest imagination, if our paradise or masterpiece can be made in the same performance level we're in for good good expirences..

Just too check. In #5121 pic 1, R20,R21 sets our noise budget before we even begin to parallel more input devices. This is less a problem for 5 Ohm cart as we can through some 50 Ohms there (total 100 Ohm loading) and still have decent DCR of some 26 Ohms that gives us SNR of ~72dB to start with, but with higher impedance carts, that can go down to 69dB and less. This is always the case with gnd referenced diff inputs. Are we ok. with that ?

I can not see how R20, R21 add a lot of noise. They are not in series with the signal but parallel. They take away some voltage from the cartridge though. Say we have a 5,5 Ohm Lyra Titan, the input resistance is about 27x the cartridge impedance so they eat less the 4% of the voltage so signal-noise will drop by 4%. In case of the DENON DL103 we have a cart. impedance of 40 Ohm. So the resistors eat around 27%. We can solve that by raising R20, R21 to 2kOhm each, so the resistors again eat 4%. SN will be worse with the DL103 though because of the rather high self impedance of 40 Ohm that is in series with the phono stage input. When we use 4 Fets in each position for a total of 16 we will get around 77dB signal-noise with a low impedance cartridge like the Lyra Tiatn.