MPP

money wise

I've been thinking of making an extrusion die for a modular TO-92 heatsink, with dovetail sides.
Has to be a 2-part die anyway, so the same die can extrude a profile with mirrored TO-92 cavity.
Universal, and cheaper in the long run, getting harder to find decent heatsinks for TO-92 anyway (i can do the die myself).

(Jacko ByeBye limited edition, though FaulMaul doesn't sound bad either :clown:)

Attachments

• DTail.jpg
    DTail.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 274
I guess it is for pressing heat-sinks from thin sheets (up to 1mm) of aluminium or other alloys?

If the die is to be used with molten 'stuff' then the thickness may be anything.

Jacco - nice simple engineering!!! - I like this too. Any estimate how much one die costs if we order 2 or 3 pieces?

can't they be anodized as well....???
The company, that extrudes my profiles for my speaker face-plates, will require a min quantity.. of min. 125 kgs...= lot's of profiles...and its not so easy peasy to make this as there must be some friction in the dovetails, to avoid them falling apart....so tooling must be adjusted to have this...another thing is that TO'92 varies a bit and on the one hand you want to fit all TO92's on the other hand the fit must be fairly tight to get sufficient thermocoupling...
could be formed as a stamped springy clip that then could be screwed into a thicker dissipation/distribution plate..(just thinking loud)

Last edited:
Yeah, i know, i grew up in a mold and die environment, my dad made press and extrusion stuff, from plastic coffee cups to hand grenades.
I did a year hard labor at an alloy casting company, waiting for navy admittance.

The TO92 cavity is no problem, exchangeable rods in different sizes from a metal order catalogue.
The idea is that the male part of the dovejoint is a tiny bit oversized, shrink-fit them together with the oven/freezer routine.
No sense to anodize.
Something for the winter (plus rebuilding 3 roof dormers at the third floor)

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hesener, you could do me a favour : Adjust both the FPS and the Paradise with your volume control for the same gain. Then put your ear on the speaker at high volume, not playing a record of cause. How can you describe the sound of the noise ? Is there flicker and popcorn noise ? Does is sound like wind or running water or does is have a particular tonal balance ? How does the noise in the bass sound ? Does the Paradise have less noise in the bass ?
That the tonal balance is similar to the FPS is a good sign too. The FPS is dead accurate,
plus-minus 0.1dB, proven in simulation and measurement.
In fact i have found out that a phono stage with Fets at the input can have a slight elegant tone and a BJT is a bit more punchy and "matter of fact". We have to consider that the sound of the Paradise may change, i hope for the better, after run in.

Just did the noise experiment, and the noise of the paradise is just a touch louder (but still very low), slightly "darker" than the FPS, but less stuff happening in the bass. the FPS had a touch more low frequency noise and the noise was overall a little brighter. couldnt hear any popcorn noise with both, they both sounded like a steady waterfall.

then, i listened to a few records and was switching back and forth. clearly the paradise is a very good sounding phono stage, fantastic detail, maybe even more than the FPS. it makes all the events more "visible" than the FPS, more clear. i also found the bass to be better, more defined and stronger.

hope i can measure soon a little bit, maybe my hearing is a little fooled by something. hope my fellow builders will get there soon and provide their comments!

Hi there
I have sent Frans the DXF and Gerbers for the pre regulator.

And this is what I came up with in the last 4 hours.
Board size is now 100 mm wide this fit the Transformer Box I have already (EURO card)
It could be made a bit smaller and I have left load of space around electrolitics to use larger or more capacitors

Comments Please...

I will certanly be interested in getting PCB and possibly components for the Paradise
so let me know

Attachments

• 100 Width Board.PDF
    134.1 KB · Views: 129
Bksabath, when very big Electrolytics are fit we could have problems with too much in rush current so Frans has to check that. Other then that, thanks that you design a board for the pre-regulator. I have personally no problem with a bigger size then Euro Card but we have a tradition here that people put forward their wishes and we then agree on the best possible mix of features.
Hesener has now proven that the Paradise works. We have to check RIAA precision and then we can organize a group buy.