MPP

simple and clever...!!!

No the problem is not ignored....just not magnified...at least not until the IRl builds are there.. then it may or may not evolve to be a problem...a good question could be.. what would the magnitude of offset be before coils are fried..??

5 mV is a totally different story than 300 something uV...anyway the local feedback trimming is both clever and simple..

Last edited:
Hi J.,
please measure forum-noise in kV
instead of pV.
Most of us not even half knowing Dwarfs heard
somewhere "Offset will kill your expensive cartrige". !
So the fear is overwhelming.
If you tell 'em on the Net that it won't,
they are upsetted.
Please go further with this "Glasperlenspiel" of yours.
Please !

Hi there
I am going to get started on new pre regulator PCB
I have compiled a list of Capacitors mostly MKP that are available from Farnell and RS.
I believe Spec at start where to get easy available parts.
There is quite a few that fit the 15mm foot print and then we go pretty big to 22.5 mm
I have used the radial MKP1839 series before the 100nF has a 14 mm body length and will fit nicely on 15 mm footprint.

I have asked a couple of times which one is your favourite so now is the time to let me know please.
Although change later is not big deal.

I have been following up in the past few days and a couple of things came to mind.
IMO (I am beter with spanners than 3 legged things)
1)RIAA precision
Not big deal if there was a fixed standard in recording studios and then later on the re- mixing for cutting maybe it would be an issue.
EG Neumann constant is not constant as MR Neumann said Just there to stop the cutting lathe Jumping off the groves.

I would be much more interested in how the Paradise deal with grove noise especially the sound that came out of the speakers when there is no music.

2) Is your table righted up for a balanced stage?
I have a cheap RPM 4 and the first thing I did on it was to get rid of the cable and fit 4 separate conductors straight from the cartridge to a 5-pin plug
The 5th pin is used for 2 layers of cable braid that does screen duties.

3) What is the character / sound signature of the Paradise?
Would you consider changing same capacitors to Mica in a pair of boards and then ask Martina to pick the one she likes most?

4) Transistors
I have seen same trubles getting decent matched stuff I have had the same problem with both Farnell and RS components in the past.
The idea to go to Fairchild direct is a good one.
I was going to get 200 pieces for my own use.
I can push the number up and get 500 or 1000 or more but only if I re sell first (This will be absolutely at cost price no hidden charges) or maybe some one else would be prepared to do this in which case I would buy the 200 pieces from this some one.

4A) Matching is a bit of an issue and I only have the ATLAS component tester as I suppose many do.
I have used a simple circuit while building Salas Simplistic with a diode and a couple of resistors (Circuit is published on Salas tread will have to dig it up) and that seem to be a bit more accurate than the Atlas instrument.
Any Idea for a simple rig to match things up.

Attachments

• Capacitor tables MKP0001.PDF
    116.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
And another thing
The MBR20100is dual die comon cathode 3 pins this is the one shown in the drawing I am using as SCH
There is a selection of over 1300 diodes from Vishay alone
I take that 100 V 1 A is required in the spec and quite a few there in TO220 2 pins.
I am going to use pin 1 (left) as anode
IF the Legs are twisted in one will have to mount the diodes facing back to front, no big deal ?
Could you let me know if this is OK please.
There are a lot of Xfred diodes any good?
Also Farnell has 1 tipe of Silicon Carbide again on TO220 SDT06S60 at £7.62