Mpp - Page 225 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2011, 03:50 PM   #2241
diyAudio Member

That looks good. I hope it works right away and you like the sound.
Old 12th May 2011, 04:00 PM   #2242
diyAudio Member

This was the prototype. It played really well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FPS Prototype.jpg (99.4 KB, 439 views)
Old 30th May 2011, 02:28 PM   #2243
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Finally i have some vacation before i go to Vegas. Today we set up my phono system at a friends house. The vinyl trampled the CD in 80% of the cases and that was my most simple stage, the Hiraga Optime Transimpedance stage i have described here. His CD system is not bad at all. An updated Audio Aero directly into the Audionet Max2 Monoblocks. He has a good tonal balance even on the warm side. His speakers are Sonics Allegria S2 with RAAL Ribbon with an active 400W Breeze subwoofer. His room is big and proportioned after Feng Chui. The CD had very good staging and even a measure of microdetail. Were it was better then Vinyl was in bass definition and tightness. Everything else was better then CD. Instruments sounded more typical, treble extention and resolution was better and there was an udeniable sense of presence with the musicians in the room. I show you some photos. From left to right:
The Spiral Groove SG1 with Triplnar arm and Lyra Titan i on my DIY stand. My chaos-fractal cable into the Hiraga Optime into the Transimpecance RIAA. Interconnects are from Wire-World and speaker cables were a double 7m run of Spiral Groove speaker cable.
I have also good news for fellow audiophiles concerning cartridge loading. I talked half an hour today on Skype to Stig Björge of Lyra. Jonathan Carr has gone through the pain of simulating his cartridges plus capacitive loading of cable and Pre. The results will be published in recent setup instructions of Lyra cartridges. Stig will also send the information to me and i will publish it here. As far as i understand it has to do with capacitance and ultrasonic resonance and varies with the cable and stage you use.
Hi JC,I saw you use Triplaner tonearm from your photo,and did you try to removed the lift finger from tonearm,i mean take it out,and this is my experience from my Well Tempered Amadeus TT,you will got better sound than before.

Sam
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:31 PM   #2244
diyAudio Member

Hello Sam !
No, i did not remove the finger lift and i will not do it. I have too much respect for the work of my late friend Herb Papier. I am waiting for a Spiral Grove Centroid anyway that is in many ways lower in unwanted mechanical resonances.
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:54 PM   #2245
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hello Sam !
No, i did not remove the finger lift and i will not do it. I have too much respect for the work of my late friend Herb Papier. I am waiting for a Spiral Grove Centroid anyway that is in many ways lower in unwanted mechanical resonances.
Hi JC,and i saw you use the Diffusor on the turntable,does it work??thanks

Sam
Old 2nd June 2011, 03:24 PM   #2246
diyAudio Member

The screw down clamp ? Yes, it works very well. There is a small rubber ring that lifts the inner of the record and the clamp puts on tension on the more or less warped vinyl. That way i can get most records flat on the table.
Old 2nd June 2011, 03:43 PM   #2247
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
waiting for a Spiral Groove Centroid
Aesthetically, the best looking tonearm, imo. (reminiscent of the Infinity Black Widow)
Me very curious what your verdict on Mr Perkins' latest will be.
Old 2nd June 2011, 04:28 PM   #2248
diyAudio Member

I heard it several times at shows and in the Spiral Grove headquarters in Berkeley. What is really outstanding is the bass reproduction. It goes down very low and tight with lots of energy. This is unusual for a single point and due to the horseshoe counterweight and how the center of gravity has being set. In theory downpreasure of that arm does not change when a warped record pushes the arm up and down. A patent has being granted as far as i know but i have not looked it up. Another advantage of the horseshoe is that you can use heavy and lightweight carts without changing the counterweight. It has tremendoes detail too without sounding bright or nervous. That makes for a fantastic soundstage that is cavernous but still well focussed. I am sold.
Old 2nd June 2011, 04:32 PM   #2249
diyAudio Member

Here is some information : Spiral Groove ? Tonearm
Old 3rd June 2011, 06:56 PM   #2250
le´flu is offline le´flu  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Joachim,

the Sam-FF2011 Phono Version at Posting 2227 looks just like the nobrainer
Phono you posted around January. Input Stage is about the same, RIAA Net-work is quite different.
Which version is better in sound? Would you be so kind and write something
about the changes? Which circuit is to prefer?

Greetings Ulf

Hide this!Advertise here!