MPP

Jürgen made them so they compensate for the temperature coefficient of dome tweeters. they are big, more then 10cm long and in an impregnated paper tube. but somehow he is not totally happy with them. other people love them.

ah yes, Joachim now I understand, the temperature compensation... yes it is especially very important with loudspeakers, they will change a lot when played loud end get warm and the filter wont work anymore as the are supposed to if no compensation are designed in.
Now my memory may be little bit rusty but I have a memory there are resistor wire you can buy and there are different types of temperature coefficients, so one can make temperature compensating resistors to incorporate in the cross over filter for loudspeakers from these wires.
One loudspeaker designer do that I know since very long time back.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So by having to keep your shielded L element in a separate box even, so to minimize harmonic noise, the distance and cabling involved aren't of some concern for it being a possibly counter productive arrangement in the detail department? I mean does it worth the hassle over a tightly laid out Shinkoh resistor and a Teflon cap for instance in an RC RIAA filter?

Well, to put them in a seperate box ( i call that DOCK) i can change type and value of the coil. I found i could tweek the circuit in AudioXpress to a better result with a defferent value of the coil. Sorry i do momentarily not show all details i am working on but you are right, that should not be the final arrangement. Anyway, i am quite surprised how much trouble i got with hum.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Surely the choke does not sport analogous DCR that a resistor would, so to up the noise in the lows where you use your inductance, and I would expect some better differentiation of the fundamentals with your copious and expensive LCR version. Did you feel something worthwhile in that direction?

Best: Charcroft naked foil, tremendous speed and safety the same time.
second: Dale RS55 antimagnetic, neutral, extremely good value
Also kind of best but very different: antimagnetic Tantal resistors, sweet like honey but transparent the same time, one of the secrets of the Essex equaliser.
There are other new types that claim more or less the same perfor,mance then the Dale i did not try. I plan to try the new Caddocks with very close tolerances and low temperature dependency. I forgot the name, maybe UHP or something.

Yes, thoose are the two (PRP and Takman) i got attracted too. There was a review of an english man that tried resistors and found also the Charcroft best and liked the Mills second best. I think they are not better or worth then the Dale. Much better then Dale and it´s gets exotic and VERY expensive but i do not mind. A single expensive component in DIY is still cheaper then a fat frontplate in High End.