MPP

That depends on the circumstances. Sometimes a filter makes some sounds softer so you think you lost volume. When a dynamic passage comes around the impression can be different. Usually i find that a lower distortion system sounds more quiet but also has better dynamic range. Sometimes it helps to advance the volume a bit. A low distortion system can be listened to with higher volume without discomfort.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
eheh Ricardo I see fancy blu screw ...titanium? :p

edit PS

plus Jupiter caps..how sound?

Unobtainium blue finger nails polish (fixes screws so they do not fly with transient behaviour :) It is also a safe procedure... Once I lent this build to a local hifi club and found that it had been dismantled, so it tells me if anyone did try to remove them during a listening session)

No Jupiter caps... Jensen four poles. In this SE build with low PSRR, even the smoothing caps are important for high freq detail.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
That depends on the circumstances. Sometimes a filter makes some sounds softer so you think you lost volume. When a dynamic passage comes around the impression can be different. Usually i find that a lower distortion system sounds more quiet but also has better dynamic range. Sometimes it helps to advance the volume a bit. A low distortion system can be listened to with higher volume without discomfort.

Well I listened to my builds with the mensioned mains filters and also with some goldenote (super filters) and I also have a monster cable filter like those and always find that they kill the "magic".

I must refer that I live in a "factory free area", so the mains are quite stable and noise free here.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Attachments

• JazzNailPolish.gif
    JazzNailPolish.gif
    63.2 KB · Views: 263
Happy new year to you and everyone around you

And I do have a New Year’s present.

Extensive research in the new year has led to the discovery of an small but useful improvement to the power supply.

The line regulation under extreme load can be improved significantly by replacing the 2.2K resistor with a 2mA current source. Line voltage ‘swing’ under extreme load (50mA AC on top of 50mA DC) goes down from 346uV (already very low) to 27uV (and that is extreme low).

The current source can be created by replacing the resistor with a J310 fet that has an 1.5K gate-source resistor connected (see detail schema).

P.s. I already informed Hesener and he will make the change.

P.s. Joachim this solves the ‘not so low floor’ problem in the previous FFT, the FFT floor is now about 33dB lowered. See: 3988.

Is this the Last circuit for the pre regulator ?

I have also seen a version including negative railand string of 12 LED.

Same components shown differ from the 2 SCH as in this post the outline of LT1028 is shown.

I am going to start the one with both rails then modify from there

Is this the Last circuit for the pre regulator ?

I have also seen a version including negative railand string of 12 LED.

Same components shown differ from the 2 SCH as in this post the outline of LT1028 is shown.

I am going to start the one with both rails then modify from there

I think you are referring to this one
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/154210-mpp-356.html#post2819962

Anything beyond the 'pre reg' that is the; mains filter, transformer, rectifier and buffer caps (as in the last drawing) is on the PCB.

Regards,
Frans

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thank you :)

Inittially I started hearing my father´s classic music and jazz records (he liked turntables also so we had a thorens idler rebranded to B&O).

Then when I was "liberated" and could go out at night, I went to a hard rock place (It was called 2001 and was placed in the local F1 track in Estoril) and there I found Hendrix... soon after came Zappa... everything changed then :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hehe... I know what you mean.

I come from an "old school" family and was "protected" from the real world during a long time. Zappa was one of my eye openers... others followed, Jim Morrison, Neil Young, Page... I could not stop once I have started.

I lost myself during some periods of my journey but I always found myself in the end.... I am surely a better person now :)