Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2010, 05:06 PM   #2001
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Pavel, Mr.Venhuda did a good job, i can even understand some content of that webpage.
High End Praha 2010 - Výstava špičkové audiovizuální techniky

They will certainly prepare english version for 2011, I hope
Old 8th December 2010, 05:07 PM   #2002
YWN is offline YWN  United Kingdom
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
The largest cap is 0.47uF. I have used aproximately the values that Burkhard Vogel uses in his BUVO. The feeback resistor under the Fets is under 1 Ohm.
I can ask Mr. Vogel if i can publish his diagram.
Hi Joachim, the Vogel book shows the emitter resistor 3.3ohm. If you are using 1ohm then, while keeping the same gain and EQ, you need x3 the cap (that's 1.5uF). That's a lot of cap to load the output with, and I wonder how good the amp step response is. Care to address the other questions I asked in my post #1952? I really appreciate your inputs...
Old 8th December 2010, 05:08 PM   #2003
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Capek was Czech indeed. He thought of it drawing from the common Slavic root.
Karel Capek is one of the greatest Czech authors. Yes, he invented the name 'Robot"

RUR book (Rosum Universal Robots).
Old 8th December 2010, 05:09 PM   #2004
diyAudio Member

This is what i know. It is unfortunately in German:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karel_Čapek
My only longer experience with Manley electronics is the Steelhead in Michael Fremers system. He kept it for a very long time and i do not know if he still uses it but it was hard to beat in it´s class over a long period. I am also friends with VTL and have heard some older designs from Lukes father. Lukes stuff is much more relyable though and performs much better in the lab but his father did the big breakthoughs i think. His book is an interesting read. I was particular surprised about his grounded grid phonostages.
Old 8th December 2010, 05:22 PM   #2005
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Haven't listened to the SteelHead unfortunately but I have been well exposed to the Zanden 1200 that he felt was good also I believe.
Old 8th December 2010, 05:24 PM   #2006
diyAudio Member

No YWN, the gain goes up 4x and the EQ over 20kHz is even more accurate because the pole is shifted higher. I did not change the values of the RIAA components.
The buffer i use can swing 250mA clean and yes at very high frequencies it has to drive the 0.77 Ohm resistor. By then the amplitute is of cause very low. At 20kHz it amounts to ca.75 Ohm. To avoid trouble i added a safty resistor behind the buffer of around 150 Ohm.
That idea stolen from Mr.Vogel. Of cause i have no right to explain what i did because i have no idea how the circuit works acording to the experts.
I wanted to elaborate on the step response but again spare me aditional ambarrasment.
What i am willing to explain is the constat current source. I can not spot that in the bespoke circuit so i can safely asume that i am alowed to voice my limited experience.
Old 8th December 2010, 05:29 PM   #2007
diyAudio Member

The Zanden is an ideosyncratic design but the looks and build quality are in a class of it´s own. Andy Singer swears on it, or at least he has when i last saw him. I do not know what floats his boat recently.
Old 8th December 2010, 05:31 PM   #2008
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Its LCR also.
Old 8th December 2010, 05:52 PM   #2009
diyAudio Member

Thats not easy. One winding off can cause more then 2% change of value but Neumann has used LCR circuits too to encode the cutter machine. Typical Japanese thinking is to do the oposite in the RIAA stage to do philosophically speaking "the same in the oposite direction", lending it a measure of "authenticity".
We have investigated the famous Tango LCR and i was not totally impressed about the accuracy. I can post a photo of an LCR decoder that a friend of mine build. It can be done but it is expensive if done right. I for one did not try it but i could with the help of my friend.
Old 8th December 2010, 05:58 PM   #2010
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I hope they have done their best because the 1200 is $20K.

Hide this!Advertise here!