MPP

If i just have a LED string,, then there will run app 10 mA through them, here Its limited to app 2.5 mA, hmm... setting the voltage inside something,, is not so trivial...apart from using Zeners, which are said to be noisy, Will this noise bleed through..?? High rejection on the mirror and...the cascode..

Here I have inserted a dual voltage souce wit 1 mV 10KHz (noise) to see just how much a such a noise will bleed into the output, the result is that the suppression is rather large as 2mV (peak peak) becomes app 30uV, or app 70 times lower than than the zener noise injected into the circuit...

I vote for a simple 12 V-zener...

Attachments

• paradise noise.JPG
    paradise noise.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 303
If i just have a LED string,, then there will run app 10 mA through them, here Its limited to app 2.5 mA, hmm... setting the voltage inside something,, is not so trivial...apart from using Zeners, which are said to be noisy, Will this noise bleed through..?? High rejection on the mirror and...the cascode..

Here I have inserted a dual voltage souce wit 1 mV 10KHz (noise) to see just how much a such a noise will bleed into the output, the result is that the suppression is rather large as 2mV (peak peak) becomes app 30uV, or app 70 times lower than than the zener noise injected into the circuit...

I vote for a simple 12 V-zener...

Not all zeners are noisy, but this needs a good low noise zener.

MiiB, i like the modification to the buffer and also that you supply all cacodes from the same voltage divider.
The problem now focusses on the bias spreader for the input stage.
An Ube multiplier will certainly work, so does a zener.
Frans, do you know a low noise zener ?

Not specificaly, all data that I have (Motorola internal files) is almost 30 years old. (and at home).

Zeners near 3.6Volt are the least noisy available, so you want to use a few in series, also add a resistor in series with the zener(s) (about a volt across it (if the zeners are at 10mA use a 100 Ohm resistor)) and add a capacitor in parallel to the zener(s) (100uF or there about). Using 3 zener diodes for a total of slightly less than 12Volts seems fine to me.

Sorry, I cannot model or draw anything at the moment, needs to wait until I am back at home.

These are very good, anyone, do you know where to get these?
http://www.aeroflex.com/ams/Metelics/pdfiles/1N5518-1N5546.pdf

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
From what I understand of zeners is that highest noise is generated when zener is operated at or nearest their transition regions. A 8 v zener can have noise figures similar to a string of LEDs. The lowest noise one can get fron zeners is when they are temperature compensated but unfortuneatly these can be very very expensive. Some made by microsemi can cost upto 50 dollars but have guaranteed noise figures less than that of a LED but you only see them used in sensitive space satilites.

I dont have data on 3.6 v zener noise but instead of that I think Id create temp compensated zener by combining a normal zener with a signal diode and get very low tempco. This is how tempco diodes are made btw. I think a 12 v zener made this way will have much lower noise than a string of 3 in series.

FdW could you explain the advantage in 3.6 v zeners.

1n829 is example of very low noise zener.

Last edited:
From what I understand of zeners is that highest noise is generated when zener is operated at or nearest their transition regions. A 8 v zener can have noise figures similar to a string of LEDs. The lowest noise one can get fron zeners is when they are temperature compensated but unfortuneatly these can be very very expensive. Some made by microsemi can cost upto 50 dollars but have guaranteed noise figures less than that of a LED but you only see them used in sensitive space satilites.

I dont have data on 3.6 v zener noise but instead of that I think Id create temp compensated zener by combining a normal zener with a signal diode and get very low tempco. This is how tempco diodes are made btw. I think a 12 v zener made this way will have much lower noise than a string of 3 in series.

FdW could you explain the advantage in 3.6 v zeners.

1n829 is example of very low noise zener.

None of the datasheets I checked for the 1n829 specify it as a low noise device, none of those datasheets did specify noise figures, so, I cannot conform (or deny). :)

In general zener diodes with an lower voltage generate less pop noise.

Check the noise values given for these:
(it shows, low voltage zener diodes generate less noise)

None of the datasheets I checked for the 1n829 specify it as a low noise device, none of those datasheets did specify noise figures, so, I cannot conform (or deny). :)

In general zener diodes with an lower voltage generate less pop noise.

Check the noise values given for these:
(it shows, low voltage zener diodes generate less noise)

Not 'pop'- but 'avalanche'-noise

Some information con be found here: http://www.ciphersbyritter.com/RES/NOISE.HTM#Horowitz89

Last edited: