Mpp - Page 168 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2010, 05:23 PM   #1671
diyAudio Member

So what i have now to do is shield the motor and shield the Phonostage.
Old 15th August 2010, 05:28 PM   #1672
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Is there any easy way to add +1-2% speed on your TT than painting the pulley?
Old 15th August 2010, 05:51 PM   #1673
diyAudio Member

Yes, it has a speed control. I set speed with a Clearaudio 300Hz strobe and have reported on the other thread that my turtable runs low or that the test record is not cut with the correct speed. I will measure with another test record and when i get the same result i will speed up my turntable a bit.
Old 15th August 2010, 08:16 PM   #1674
diyAudio Member

A major measurement session was not on the agenda today. I wanted to finish the +-17V Hypnotize. I have set the CCS but not the voltage. That must wait until tomorrow. Instead
i decided to dress me in amour and go to battle with the vinyl and out of nowhere comes the DIN45549 test record from 1978, never played, mint condition. What was immediately obvious is that the Phönix was cut a bit slow. Still the turntable did not hit the 1000Hz mark and after at east 20 tryes i nailed it down. 1000Hz exactly and stable over time. I repeated the mesurement several times. Good. So having the DIN record on the table i also performed a 300Hz-3000Hz intermodulation test ( very hard to aquisite )
and used this test also for crosstalk measurement. I then put the HiFi News test record on and measured the FRD of my Titam i ULN combination with pink noise. Everything in order here and as you see i also use my Time Domain subsonic filter now, so no exess in the 6 Hz region any more. Pink noise falls of with 3dB octave to the response is bend toward the treble.
Old 15th August 2010, 08:22 PM   #1675
diyAudio Member

Now comes the real surprise. That DIN record is super quiet. I do not know on what phantastic equipment they have manufactured this miraculous gem but SN is better then 80dB over a broad range and improves to 90dB in the upper midrange. i heard that Telefunken had developped super low noise vinyl in the 70th with a secret formular forever lost but i was not prepared for THIS:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIN silent groove 1kHz tone.pdf (8.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 15th August 2010, 08:26 PM   #1676
diyAudio Member

This is cut at Veff = 5.6cm/sec so we still have some 12dB overhead margin as you can see on the higher cut 10cm/sec intermodulation test. There is even a 25cm/sec double tone signal on that record but i need a break.
There is still a lot of juice in that old lemon.
Old 15th August 2010, 09:52 PM   #1677
diyAudio Chief Moderator

There was a CBS STR series of test records that had very clever tests as it seems but I haven't seen any for real. Did you bump on any in the vinyl glory days?

P.S. So the HFNRR was cut OK for speed, agreeing with the Tele? Shall I trust it, bcs in my turntable it will be tweaky by changing belt or ''thickening'' the pulley with nail polish. Also at what frequency you refer your dynamic range talk? 100Hz?
Old 15th August 2010, 10:25 PM   #1678
diyAudio Member

I did not test the HFNRR for speed, only for FRD. I will compare that tomorrow and then tell you. The Phönix was slow though.
It´s hard to say where we put the frequency to define dynamic range. You see in the range under 100Hz it is decreasing fast. 100 Hz is a tough test too but us being tough too could put it there for reference. Not discounting the humm spike there we land again at slightly over 70dB, close to Burkhard Vogel´s calcuation of 72dB but that was with DMM. I will look up Burkhard book. Maybe he already came up with a sugestion about what frequency range we are talking about. I do not like to come up with a new definition each day. That is only confusing.
I had a short listen to Carly Simon and James Taylor with the new set speed and it sounds different if not better. I think i have to adjust my woofer again for level and phase. Because of the Fletcher-Munson curve ( or newer variants) small changes in sub level can be very audible because that curve is very steep in the bass and it can easily happen that we land in the "just audible" range where before was nothing.
Old 15th August 2010, 10:29 PM   #1679
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I think I remember reading that some old UK manufacturers were setting TTs intentionally 0.5-1% slower. Don't know exactly why though, or if it is true.
Old 15th August 2010, 10:31 PM   #1680
diyAudio Member

I tryed to get the CBS, no luck. The Lyra boys have one and the level on that is more like 7cm/sec. I thought i had the famous Sure but when i opened it is was emplty ! What a...
has taken that away from me ?

Hide this!Advertise here!