Mpp - Page 156 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2010, 08:46 PM   #1551
diyAudio Member

So instead of 34 Ohm in total i should use 16.5 Ohm. Thats good. I have 33 Ohm resistors.
Old 9th August 2010, 08:48 PM   #1552
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Well that counts for less then 50mA per channel but i wanted to go conservative.
Yes, but I also saw 16V 3300uF filter caps on your board. That is marginal. What kind of trafo VAC secondary are you planning? The Hypno will still regulate well with 15V rectified DCin but take care for overshoot & longevity.
Old 9th August 2010, 08:54 PM   #1553
diyAudio Member

My transformer uses 2 x 12V AC. I think one of the caps is misslabeled. The other says 25V and they have under 20mOhm impedance both @ 100kHz so i asume they are the same. Modern caps can be driven with more voltage that you see on the label so i asume no problem.
Old 9th August 2010, 09:04 PM   #1554
diyAudio Chief Moderator

You should get around +/- 16.5VDC on those caps then if trafo is winded precisely. If your caps are OK too, I leave you work. Good luck with that combo soundwise, hope it will prove synergistic. If your 5 leds rows are near for Vf and those near 10R located K170s near for idss, you will get a closely tracking +/- Vout too. If you have small clip on heatsinks or those small ones for LM317 with a screw hole that need no board fix, use them for long term peace of mind.
Old 9th August 2010, 09:05 PM   #1555
diyAudio Member

Can i subtitute the 2 Phono boards with a 100 Ohm resistor while testing? That whould draw 100mA at 10V.
Old 9th August 2010, 09:13 PM   #1556
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Make that 200R per rail to ground so it will be representative of your phono and you can estimate heat on Mosfets correctly too.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:27 PM   #1557
diyAudio Member

I think i will use two 100 Ohm resistors. One on each rail. I will get it working tonight.
Another question. Before the phono i have two common mode chokes with 100mH. 1.5 Ohm. Should i pull them out ? On the phonoboard i have around 2000uF caps on each line in each phono. Can i keep then in ? I know, i sound like a newbee. I just whould like to avoid trouble to make that process painless. I am really on a tight schedule at the moment. The most anoying but important part is that i have to come up with a detailed busyness plan to finance a new enterprise and this is absolutely not my forte.
Anyway, what i am doing here is important for me beacause it is so much fun and that keeps my mood up.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:42 PM   #1558
diyAudio Chief Moderator

No inductance or series resistance between this reg and phono. Save them for elsewhere. Inductance will make it oscillate, resistance will vaporize reg's inherent minimal Zo. Avoid the local big caps to ground too. Redundant, just imposing signature and mixing very high in frequency without the coils that used to be there.
100 Ohm dummy load per rail gets you shunting to ground near the CCS setting, the shunt element will feel much cooler that it will be when the phono is fed. If the CCS Mosfets Vgs or 3 leds Vf are not convenient and it sets around 100mA for real with those 33/33R, its possible them dummies eat all available mA and the reg starves testing cookoo. Don't you have some extra resistance to add on those dummies so to be sure there is enough current remaining in the reg?

P.S. You don't sound like a newbie, you sound like busy.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:51 PM   #1559
diyAudio Member

Ok, i take the coils and caps away. I will test with 2 x 200 Ohm just to see if the Shunts are working and do the real testing with the phonos connected.
Old 9th August 2010, 11:14 PM   #1560
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It will be the same draw with 200R per rail. You said 50mA per rail for 2 channels, 100mA total for 2 channels & all rails, right? Please confirm. We can't afford a misunderstanding at this point, else it will set you back for available time.

Although a Hypno board carries the most humble of this regs family, here is how yours with the settings and load you put, simulates in LT Spice for Zo. Use short thick wiring so you compromise it the least possible since there is no Kelvin connection ability in this board. It was made to be used for the DCB1 part on it within cm distance. Y axis is 1 Ohm top.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ZoHypno.gif (6.9 KB, 283 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!