Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2010, 12:01 AM   #1491
diyAudio Member

They hold tight toterances, no problem. I do the 16nF out of 3 10nF series-parallel plus one RIFA PPS 1nF anyway, so tolerances average out. I think Röderstein ( or Vishey that is ) did a good job. Close tolerance parts for analog fiters got very rare these day and i am not totally convinced of Teflons because my high speed layouts really can go into trouble.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:03 AM   #1492
diyAudio Member

Concerning to "tone" of RIAA caps i like to mix. MKP for the bass and Mica for the treble.
The LCR HX Styroflex and the new RIFA PPS SMD seem to be more universal.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:17 AM   #1493
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

C0Gs reminded me of mica softness but cleaner, in the treble part if you ever get some, they are 10% though and takes some selection. PPS I like too, reminds me of polycarb. Warm. Teflons are best IMHO. Very expensive and big for layout and hurts to lose some in matching though. Styroflex, don't know, squeaky clean but cold somehow.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:42 AM   #1494
diyAudio Member

I got some 1nF COG-NPOs and will try them. Many years ago i used ceramic caps even in speakers with success.
Sonics speakers made in the USA use Teflon caps in some places.
For my MPL i use mixed dielectric. I combine 3 diffent caps with different make and value.
I needed month to find out what works best.
Well, i do not use Styroflex much any more. The ones you can get do not seen as good as they used to be. Sometimes i buy surplus at Oppermann.
What is also really good are old Röderstein KP. I think they can compete with Teflon in many ways.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:54 AM   #1495
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Speakers are different as you know, there we try balance the driver and enclosure colorations / diffraction with some tonal accentuations in parts so they come across ''human'' especially in voice tests. BBC got that right first.
The caps tend to resonate more with speaker level voltages and shakes, behave differently. In low efficiency they tend to hide more though. I don't think that an Epos single HF Bennic could pass in your MPL for instance.
Old 30th July 2010, 01:35 AM   #1496
diyAudio Member

Yes, in speakers they see much more current and vibration. Anyway, everybody has to come up with his own recipe. I am always amaized how many people ask me what parts i use. Leaves me speechless some times.
I found like many others before me that it is a delicate ballance, a bit like cooking or playing the guitar if you wish. I am especially searcing for parts that are made now and that are available, does not work always though so i am buying what i can afford, especially P-Channel Fets at the moment. My friend Jürgen Ultee had to buy 15.000 coil formers for his inductive RIAA recently because Epcos stopped to make audio cores recently in the size he needs for his "Grail". It´s all over 100kHz at the moment. This world is getting faster and faster and that makes vinyl so attractive i think.
Old 30th July 2010, 06:30 AM   #1497
le´flu is offline le´flu  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello Joachim,
are you still using all your Upgrade-Modifications
you postet in the USAIOG 2.0.TSC - TINA circuit?
Cause looking at your picture of poket-phono i only
see 2200uF to ground.

Greetings Ulf
Old 30th July 2010, 12:34 PM   #1498
diyAudio Member

In my version i still use 2200uF. Frank Schröder uses 4400uF and told me that the bass improved. I did not include the infamous Neumann pole in my version. Frank says that voices are projected foward ca. 1m when he engages the Neumann pole.
In my version i use bigger Elcaps in the supply. 1000uF FM bypassed with 0.1uF Röderstein MKP. Version 2.0 had 470uF FC bypassed with 1uF Wima MKT.
Old 5th August 2010, 02:40 AM   #1499
diyAudio Member

Sorry, i did not post the headphone amp. I got two chips and tryed to solder the tiny SMD parts directly. That was a big mistake ! I broke some legs. I am waiting for new Opamps and hope to get them soon. I will post the circuit as soon as it works to my satisfaction.
Old 5th August 2010, 08:51 AM   #1500
Werner is offline Werner  Europe
diyAudio Member

I built the 2SK369 folded cascode / OPA637 design I posted early on in this thread. The capacitors are NOS Epcos MKV (PP-in-oil) and styroflex for RIAA, and one loop-enclosed Silmic for coupling.

Not much time yet for listening, but what I heard so far is very very good, with the cleanest treble I ever experienced from LP. Noise is also very low.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg changeling_mcphono.jpg (149.2 KB, 310 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!