Mpp - Page 141 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2010, 02:31 PM   #1401
diyAudio Member

i did not have enough space in my car to bring the big ones you heard. i had build smaller panels with a Scan Speak wideband but i had the big woofer. I setup on a stage in a very big reverberant room so volume was a bit challanged. I had mixed reactions to that setup. Some liked it very much and others had other ideas about good sound. I thought, considering the circumstances it worked ok. I think a lot of people have still trouble with a system that provides a lot of information in the upper reaches and a lot of micro detail.
I call the reaction "information overflow". Anyway, i had a lot of good comunication with people that did like the sound and that made the efford worthwile. I was also able to play the MPP Nova and the USAIOG in other people systems and there the reaction was totally positive. I think everybody needs his own refference in the end.
Old 7th June 2010, 05:56 PM   #1402
masag1 is offline masag1  Germany
diyAudio Member

I've had the possibilty to listen to the Small Setup with the Scan Speak.
I was deeply impressed. Very authentic amazing sound. We had the possibility to listen, loud music, classics and pop. Hey the small critter plays
Hope that somebody of the Fricklers had made a pix that people can see this
funny and project.

With kind regards

Sam
Old 7th June 2010, 07:51 PM   #1403
diyAudio Member

Thanks Sam, yes, this is a fun project and not expensive at all. Have to come up with a fitting woofer though. Those LAT´s are not in production any more i fear.
Old 8th June 2010, 04:21 PM   #1404
Morfeus is online now Morfeus  Germany
diyAudio Member

Fickelfest images:

Holger Barske and Christian Gather
ff2010

My own:
Frickelfest 2010

Cheers,
Heinz
Old 8th June 2010, 04:53 PM   #1405
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the nice photos. Are you still planning to build my little USAIOG phonostage ?
Old 8th June 2010, 05:02 PM   #1406
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

DIY in its rawest. Dare you write a service manual.
Old 8th June 2010, 05:10 PM   #1407
diyAudio Member

Salas, i bought a Hypnotize and a Mezmerize PCB there, so i will listen to your sound soon.
You are really famous and popular with those guys.
Old 8th June 2010, 05:13 PM   #1408
diyAudio Member

Actually that raw circuit goes up into the several Mega Herz region and is totally stable.
One day in my home i got 3 radio stations at ones. A Symphony Orchestra, a french woman and somebody talking in english. Surpisingly at the Frickelfest the MPP Nova was dead quiet.
Old 8th June 2010, 06:41 PM   #1409
diyAudio Member

I had the chance to listen to Joachim's pre (fed by a simple Rega TT - okay, equipped with a Lyra cart) with Wolf's field coil spakers, and I was very impressed. Lotsa detail, extremely fast and liquid. Great circuit. Can't wait for the final version, I certainly will be one of the first to build one.
Old 8th June 2010, 07:16 PM   #1410
diyAudio Member

i think the only thing i will aditionally try is an all in one go aproach with the collector resistors substituted with current sources. Other wise i think this circuit is as good as i can make it without enormous complication. A fellow DIY´r in the States is planning a PCB, so soon it will be much easier to actually build it. To get rid of the radio stations is not a problem at all. I just found it so funny what happens if you do a very wideband design at the input.
On a parallel path i am still strugling with transformers and coils. I had some comunication with Brian Sowter today and we may try to make a very wideband input transformer.
Thanks Holger for inviting me to this event. Is was like a vacation i badly needed.

Hide this!Advertise here!