Mpp - Page 110 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2010, 03:37 AM   #1091
diyAudio Member

Having now lived on a diet of vinyl for a long time listening to headphones and CD was quite shocking. Many productions are simply unlistenable in the treble. First i thought there was something wrong with my Headphone or Headphone Amp but good sounding material like Patricia Barber or Kari Bremnes told me otherwise.
What is very typical for this Headamp-Headphone combination is tremendoes bass depth and dynamics. Think about it, it is a direct coupled servoless circuit. It really goes down to DC. If the CD is well made the sound is open in the midrange with a lot of detail resolution in the treble. Some pieces of music come over totally different then over more forgiving and distorted speakers. I found that speakers, even very good one often have a resolution problem. For example on "Older" from George Michael i heard an intrument that made an important intro that i did not know over spaekers of any construction, even ribbons and electrostatics.
Well, it´s a learning curve and i certainly will listen to vinyl also over headphones.
The Headphone Amp goes clean and loud with the 701 so in that sense i am satisfied.
Let´s see if i can do something in the treble or if i have to simply except that fact.
Old 21st March 2010, 04:20 AM   #1092
diyAudio Member

Default Electrostatics

Hi Joachim,

Thanks again for shearing this with us.
This intro in older from George Michael, is one of the little things that a good (read: well constructed ) ESL electrostatic loudspeaker can let you hear even at low volumes.
As soon as my new ESL is ready, I'll let you know so you can come and listen to it and perhaps that it is possible to hear such an intro via loudspeakers. At least so I hope.

I'm also going to bed now, it's past 4 am all the best and do yourself a favor be cautious with headphones volume, you can get rearing problems by playing to loud!
I always listen to my STAX on moderated power, so that I can hear the ambient sound through my headphone, that way I know that I never play to loud. (e.g. a ticking clock)

Take care.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic (José)
Old 21st March 2010, 04:26 AM   #1093
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I many times advocated the ''headphones check''. Check your new speakers in your room against headphones at least for correct tone I say. Its something intuitive in studio practice. Ribbons and ESLs and low coloration coil speakers have resolution, but the headphones lack the room's masking. Cochlea integrates longer in the modal region and bass reverberation in room masks high up in the mids. Headphones are speakers after all. But personal speakers. The ''in the centre of my my head effect'' isn't normal, but to check resolution and correct tone, they are indispensable. Some Japanese cart masters check tuning with Stax.
Old 21st March 2010, 10:27 AM   #1094
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Having now lived on a diet of vinyl for a long time listening to headphones and CD was quite shocking. Many productions are simply unlistenable in the treble. First i thought there was something wrong with my Headphone or Headphone Amp but good sounding material like Patricia Barber or Kari Bremnes told me otherwise.[snip]
My thoughts exactly. I am now at a point where I never buy any CD's from recordings past 2000, unless I really give them a good listen. The best CDs were recorded, loosely speaking, in the 90's. Not overmixed, not compressed, dynamic. That's the attractiveness of vinyl for me, the music is often so much better, even if it technically is not as accurate as a CD chain.
Maybe I should buy a turntable again...

jd
Old 21st March 2010, 01:40 PM   #1095
diyAudio Member

Good turntables are not expensive any more.
For example Clearaudio and Rega make good packages of turntable, arm and cart. for
1000,- - 2000,-€. Later a better cart. can be added.
There is also a lot of good stuff on the used market.
Errata : Ikoflexer found a small mistake in circuit post 1088.
The LME49713 op amps PSU connection is reversed. Pin 4 should go to - supply and pin 7
should go to + supply of cause.
Old 21st March 2010, 01:44 PM   #1096
diyAudio Member

LME49710 of cause.
Old 21st March 2010, 01:45 PM   #1097
diyAudio Member

I get confused by the flood of interesting opamps recently.
In the old days it was NE5534 and TL071. When the OP27 came out it was a sensation.
Old 21st March 2010, 01:57 PM   #1098
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Bob Pease has gone from National. Swan's song is the latest LM series. If people like Scott stop at a point too...Iphone tweaking then.
Old 21st March 2010, 02:11 PM   #1099
diyAudio Member

Fortunately the LME49710 is so low in distortion the way i use it ( shunt feedback) that it is barely distinguishable from the generator.
Any improvements will be difficult and there is discreet and hybrid of cause.
BB and AD put a lot of interesting stuff out recently and there are OPs that are developed for other purposes like video that are great for audio too so i am a bit more optimistic about the future of good sound.
Old 21st March 2010, 02:26 PM   #1100
diyAudio Chief Moderator

So JLH push pull and diamond BC550/560 buffer worked nicely together. I wonder if It will use 2N5459 2N5460 because 2SJ74 is not easy anymore, how much it could lose subjectively or not.

Hide this!Advertise here!