Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

MPP
MPP
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2018, 03:56 PM   #10931
avinunca is offline avinunca  Europe
diyAudio Member

MPP
Help sought - My Paradise shunt regs are using 40mA more on the positive rail than on the negative rail. I bought a completed Paradise phono minus prereg as a stop gap until I could build my own.
So with +/- 26V I see 145mA on negative rail and 185 mA on positive. The Calvin buffer is disconnected. I can adjust for 18V on both outputs. Pics of one board here
Michael Lakeman | Flickr The amp works and sounds good to me. Maybe it could sound better though.
Old 15th January 2018, 04:08 PM   #10932
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

MPP
Check the 10 Ohm resistors (R104, R204) for their values. While not ideal, this difference is not alarming. Is it the same behaviour on both channels? And, do you have a scope where you can check if one of the regulators is oscillating?

If that doesnt work , the regulator schematic has typical voltage levels noted, you may want to check those.

By the way, there is a paradise builders thread here: Paradise Builders

where you may want to ask those questions, maybe better than in this MPP thread....
Old 15th January 2018, 04:13 PM   #10933
avinunca is offline avinunca  Europe
diyAudio Member

MPP
Thanks Hesener. Sorry I posted in wrong thread. It's same both channels. Will check resistors and for oscillation.
Michael
Old 15th January 2018, 10:07 PM   #10934
Onvinyl is offline Onvinyl
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I can say one thing : there is no superiour topology. It is all in the details and execusion.
And that comes from a man who has build any thinkable topo, at least quite a lot! If you think about it, it would be very strange if there were such thing as a single best topology.
Old 15th January 2018, 10:12 PM   #10935
Onvinyl is offline Onvinyl
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
I like the Pearl phono.... very good design.... maybe it could be improved with a good psu.

I am sure the psu is an integral part of any amp because it sings along with it.

I use a pair of jfets in the input of my phonostage... and it is quiet.
Hi RC,
Which circuit are you using? I often experienced (well, three different topos or so...), that a single fet sounds better than paralleld fets if it werent for the noise penalty.
Rüdiger
Old 15th January 2018, 10:23 PM   #10936
Joachim Gerhard is offline Joachim Gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member

So the most simple circuit that does the job is the best. Theoretical. Occam´s Razor.
Anyway, with vinyl it is also about taste in sound so reaching the goal in a particular system is not that easy any more. Is is about beautiness in sound ? Then it get´s real difficult. So what is the job ?
Old 20th May 2018, 10:49 AM   #10937
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
nhinstruments
diyAudio Member

MPP
Hello Joachim

Still trying to understand the paradise schematic and need your input.

There are two voltage references that provide VCASCH and VCASCL.

The are made with a ccs and a zener in each case.

R11 Q97 D2 and R10 Q98 D1

What is the purpose of such a circuit ? In my simulations the circuit works perfectly without these subcircuits......

BTW.... Good sound in the MOC this year.... love your speakers

Ricardo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paradise%20R3%20schematic%20amplifier_notes.jpg (534.4 KB, 161 views)
Old 20th May 2018, 10:51 AM   #10938
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
nhinstruments
diyAudio Member

MPP
better sch
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Paradise R3 schematic amplifier annotated (1).pdf (21.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 20th May 2018, 05:06 PM   #10939
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I guess D1 and D2 are just used to drop voltage so that the JFETs don't suffer from high Vds and heat losses.

jauu
Calvin
Old 20th May 2018, 06:33 PM   #10940
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 MPP
They do nothing. They are a hangover from a previous incarnation of the circuit and they were just never removed from the schematic as the circuit was improved. (I think one of the team secretly had shares in 2sk170s ;-)

Click the image to open in full size.

MPPHide this!Advertise here!