Recommendations for Phono Stage (RIAA?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to get recommendations for a rock solid phono pre-amp design for integrating into a Pass Labs First Watt B1 bufer/ LM3875 Chip amp combo for use with a Technics SL1210 Mk2 turntable with MC cartridge. Ideally I'd like to be able to use it with a MM cartridge as well down the road, though it's not critical.

It's really hard to find something that's really highly recommended and has been put through the paces and improved upon. I need that because although I love making electronics, I'm lost when it comes to designing or improving upon the designs. I basically like making kits.

Many thanks
Lucas

If you can get the circuit somewhere to make yourself, the Tom Evans Microgroove or Microgroove+ a British made solid state phono stage left all others in it's wake at our Audio Society phono stage comparison, it sounded big and full bodied like tube but with the detail and control of solid state, it was truly head and shoulders above the others.

Cheers George

Last edited:
hi
designed by john Linsley Hood, gain adjustable MM or MC carts, pcb or kit availible, i use this circuit myself sounds nice. the pcb looks good from these guys and price looks ok too.

Circuit (bottom of page 1450 phono)

A Paul Kemble web page - John Linsley Hood preamp designs.

PCB/Kit

1450 Phono Stage

i have no connection with this company.

Now this, Burbeck, looks bang on the money! Many thanks indeed. Unless Nelson Pass decides he wants to give me the design to his new all singing RIAA stage, I think I'll go with this. I looked up J. L. Hood in Wikipedia, and it seems he was an English nuclear physicist, among other things. It will be good to get some classic British-ness in my amp design...

Many thanks again. If you can advise me about the build or substitutions you've made, please feel free to do so.

Lucas

If you can get the circuit somewhere to make yourself, the Tom Evans Microgroove or Microgroove+ a British made solid state phono stage left all others in it's wake at our Audio Society phono stage comparison, it sounded big and full bodied like tube but with the detail and control of solid state, it was truly head and shoulders above the others.

Cheers George

Sounds like you've heard a few and this was the best, but I can't find a clone anywhere (in a fairly cursory search, I'll admit).

Thanks for the recommendation
Lucas

Condensing a huge topic to a few sentences, there are a couple philosophies. High gain with significant negative feedback. Low gain with less negative feedback. Commercial opamps will have huge open loop gain and operate with a lot of negative feedback. Much audio mythology says this is bad. The hallmark of most discrete design, other than power amps, is simplicity and low gain, coupled with lower amounts of feedback. Much audio mythology say this is good. You have to decide what your definition of good and bad are. I believe you'll find Pass designs fall into the simple, elegant and low feedback group, and people certainly have high regard for them. Personally, I tend towards high gain, high negative feedback and low distortion. Hopefully without odd harmonics and the errors of the past. There have been plenty of bad opamp designs, but today we have parts that need make no apologies. IMHO, there are multiple paths to get where you want to go.

I have settled on the "Atlantis." It is a single ended, Class A, zero feedback RIAA Phono pre-amp, by Mads K Hoaas. Here's the schematic for the MM version, which I am making:

lucasadamson-albums-pcbs-schematics-amplifier-elements-picture286-atlantis-riaa-1.jpg

I have PCBs on the way :spin:

I like that it is discrete, as I'm inclined to be suspicious of op-amps, even though I have them in my DAC and I am largely ignorant as to why they are less desirable for hi-fi than discrete solutions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.