no bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks anybody in advance:

i am getting far less bass with my tt setup than with cd. i have the MMF with
the topend goldring cartridge, a wright wpl11 phono amp, a bedini 125 amp, and dynaco a35 speakers.

i know the speakers have a rising response, so that is part of it.

i do not want to put the speakers any closer to the walls; then the cds will sound too bass-heavy.

any ideas? thanks again

Play around a bit (if you can) with your VTA..(vertical tracking angle)..

JD

Thanks anybody in advance:

i am getting far less bass with my tt setup than with cd. i have the MMF with
the topend goldring cartridge, a wright wpl11 phono amp, a bedini 125 amp, and dynaco a35 speakers.

i know the speakers have a rising response, so that is part of it.

i do not want to put the speakers any closer to the walls; then the cds will sound too bass-heavy.

any ideas? thanks again

if the bass is heavy, are the highs gone too?

if the highs are MIA, then lower the arm and adjust until the soundstage opens up and treble is apparent.

Do a search, lots of info out there. Also check your VTF accurately. Again, lots of info out there.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Could it be due to your vinyl is of older date and your CDs are new

Maybe your new Cds have more bass than your older vinyl

Further, your phono may have a cap on output
Being a tube phono this cap may be sized to suit a tube amp, which usually have high input impedance
Your Bedini is I guess a SS pre, and will have much lower input impedance, which means the output cap of your phono may need to be bigger, or it may roll of bass
I no expert, so others should comment on this

another thing to consider... different recordings through time may have slightly different RIAA equaliztion. There is a standard, but some labels held them loosley and "interperetd" them for their own needs.

If you go to this link, check out all the info and also look at the bottom of the page where you can see how the EQ was applied by the recording labels.

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttcartridge.html

JD

i know nothing about vinyl but what little i do know is that bass is a rather fundamental limitation with this technology. at the same time digital audio has NO limits when it comes to bass.

i have no doubts you will find a way to improve your bass performance with vinyl but ultimately if you are a bass head i think you are headed in the wrong direction.

tubes also have issues with bass. maybe thats why vinyl and tubes go well together.

really i know nothing about vinyl but i know ALOT about bass and virtually everything about bass is better done digitally.

If the pre-amp is of any age, the output caps (control rumble filtering etc) may have dried up, leading to the bass being rolled off higher up, as the cap rating would have changed.

Might be an idea to open it up and do some measurements. If you could test with another pre-amp, this would help a lot.

Chris

Bass, a limitation of Lps?

Borat, that is contrary to virtually everyone who has heard a quality TT/arm/cart setup.

Sure CD can reproduce a lower frequency, but bass is presented in a more natural manner on LP (even proponents of digital audio admit that). So if extension is how you rate bass, then yes, CD may have the edge, but if a more natural presentation---closer to the analog live experience--then LP has the advantage.

Don't want to see this thread be reduced to a CD vs. LP debate---that can happen elsewhere. The question here is to help out Mor2bz.

chris661---unless one has access to a capacitor bridge, it can be a little difficult to measure a cap. Replacing them en masse, can get a little expensive depending on what quality of caps are to be used.

VTF and VTA are easy to adjust, and are the "usual" culprits. If all possible adjustments have been made, then try a different phono stage. If there is an improvement, then perhaps consider a cap upgrade/change in the existing phono stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.