YAMAHA P-550 TT help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I bought an old TT from a flee market, got it working, bought a new cartridge (Shure M97xE ) and a bunch of records from garage sale, installed the cartridge and was ready to enjoy my first turntable since i was about 18.
Well it does not sound very good. I think it only plays in mono (at least it sounds like it) and is overall flat (in a bad way) with not much bass or trebles.
I did get the cartridge square with the headshell, but I do not know how to adjust the overhang (16mm) without the gauge. Any input on how to adjust the overhang and improve the sound?)
I am running it through MARANZ 2252b receiver if that helps you any and I did clean the records before playing them. The connectors are still dirty though so that may have something to do with it. Or not.

I would appreciate any input

Branko

Never mind. It is just my ignorance. I aligned the cartridge and it sounds better. It plays stereo on the better records (i.e. less worn out) too. It is not the best sound, but it will do for now. Of course I have no other tt to compare it to and I have never really heard a hi-fi tt so my reference would be either a cd or radio which is not a really good reference I guess.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.