Build your own tonearm cable

my contribution as a possibility:

32.0 AWG

edit: don't bother calling, I just snagged the last sample in the building, that is of the appropriate sizing, 30ga and smaller. They had just one short sample.

Other than that, it's a 10 lb minimum, just to see if it works, which is at least $500+. 10lbs is the minimum and the cost per lb is high, as they have to set up and run a machine, by the pound (weight). and in that the ultra fine gauges have very many feet per lb and the rate of ft per second through the flattening hardware is limited, so that the product comes out perfect, with no cracks or damage to the enamel.

I think it will work incredibly well, which is why I snagged what I could, to do a test.

I've got a roll of custom made 4-9's silver flat beside me right now, and I can assure you that it was horrifically expensive, but the gauge is just a bit to big for this application. Dang.

Last edited:
Okee dokee. Sony A350 DSLR in full manual mode, m42 adapter, pentax SMC 1.4 Super-tak stopped down to 8, with 3 extenders and a 2x multiplier, with intense direct lighting.....that's what it took to get a shot of it. The markings on the ruler are 0.5mm.

Even on it's longest diameter, it is no greater than about 24ga (0.511mm, in width, which means the skin effect region is north of 100khz), and in the other axis, well, 36ga or thereabouts, so 1Mhz+. What this means is a stable and wide complex z bandwidth, that round wire or Litz cannot hope to match. I find Litz windings, multi-strand windings, or any multi-ga windings to be very..uhm..grainy sounding, at best. Not counter-intuitive, just not generally well thought through.

We are looking for complex harmonic systems to be presented with a low z, of wide stable bandwidth, with the least disturbance and most linearity in all complex aspects of 'in situ' expression. Round or litz both fail in comparison.

This moves more toward 'best simple approximation of a complex ideal', which all others cannot hope to match.

Attachments

• DSC05318.jpg
    DSC05318.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 684
Last edited:
I have rewired several tonearms with PC mouse wire with excellent results.
No need to twist it as the metal arm is acting as a shield anyway, and it is more flexible as individual wires which is very important where the wires leave the arm and turn 90 degrees to enter the base.
Most are already colour coded red,green,blue and white !!!!!
Cheers
Graham.

Cardas cable ?

Anyone tried this?

For about the same price as a spool of a-m systems silver wire mentioned earlier, there’s a bloke on e*bay who’s selling Cardas shielded turntable tonearm wire cable, 4x33 AWG. Says the product is Cardas Litz copper; each set of (4) conductors are wrapped in PTFE tape then shielded in copper braid to insulate the signal.

He recommends buying five feet, and sells it for about $15/foot. Based in London. I've no connection with the gent, just wondering if anyone has seen this or tried it.

I just looked at Cardas website and don't believe their wire is a Litz weave. The essential principle of Litz wire is that the weave makes each strand dive in and out of the bundle so that each strand spends the same amount of the length on the outside and the inside. That means that current cannot just flow on the outside strand of the bundle. Any current flowing on an outer strand has to keep flowing on that strand when in dives into the middle, as it cannot leap across to another strand from which it is insulated. If it spends too long in the middle, interstrand capacitance will eventually transfer current to a strand nearer the outside. That's why the weave should make each strand dive in and out as often as possible. Another way to look at it is, if all strands are woven in an identical pattern, the current can't tell them apart and so flows equally on all strands. From the pictures of the stranding on Cardas website, they don't use such a weave. Therefore the wire is not Litz and will not show any advantage. Make your own Litz wire instead in the following way: Twist three strands of 24-32 AWG enamelled copper together using an electric drill. You will need a lenghth 9 times the final length you want. Then fold it in three and do the same again to get a 9-strand weave of 1/3rd the length. Then fold it in three yet again to get a 27-strand weave of 1/9th the length. This is not a true Litz weave but it is pretty good. The best way to measure its effectiveness is to wind a large toroid with a single layer, and measure the Q of the coil with a Q-meter, comparing it to the Q when wound with non-litz wire of the same total copper cross section. A higher Q means the resistance at the measuring frequency is that much less.

Tonarm Cable - Overview wanted

There are three kind of tonarm cable:
1) Interconnect between ton arm output socket and phono-pre-amp input
2) Interconnect between MM/MC cartridge and ton arm output socket
3) Interconnect between MM/MC cartridge and phono-pre-amp input (tonarm output socket removed)
I want to have an overview from 2) and 3).

Currently I have found this:

Cardas 33AWG
33 AWG Tonearm Wire
Cardas 33AWG Tonarmkabel /- innenkabel NOS kaufen • phonobar.se
Cardas 4 x 33 AWG Tonearm wire - without shield | Hifi Collective

Cardas CLEAR 34x4
http://mediaaudio.hr/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Cardas-Audio-cjenik.pdf

VDH MSS-7
MSS - 7 (halogen free) - Van den Hul B.V. - High End Cables, Phono Cartridges and Electronics

A-M Systems: PFA-Coated Silver Wire
https://www.a-msystems.com/p-796-pfa-coated-silver-wire.aspx

Offers without a brand name are here:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/124704827878?hash=item1d08fca9e6:g:wPgAAOSwoNdgC0ra
https://www.highend-hifi-shop.de/to...onarm-plattenspieler-highend-set-4x-50cm.html

Who know the brand name of this tonarm cable: "Pure Silver Hair Wire" ?
https://web.archive.org/web/20140329221158/http://www.analogtubeaudio.de/19-0-pure-silver.html

I want to have an overview of additional wires - I will restore a SME-V and therefore I need a few more brands for such cables - thank you very much.

Last edited:
It is not just the Softness of the Wire that is important, it the suppleness (ultra flexibility) of the sheathing.
When Handled it would be safe to suggest, any suitable wire in 0.0?mm or AWG ? will feel very supple.
When the wire is used at a interface in a Tonearm, especially at the Pillar End, a Wire can produce a resistence to the free movement of the Tonearms Travel across the LP.

This can impact on the mechanical function of the Tonearm in a Negative Manner.