Which Cartridge?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I've spent a fair bit of time sorting out (I'd love to say tuning but it's more like listening a lot and then having a stab at a probability) my system (Audio Analogue Paganini, Accuphase E202, Self built 120L 10" Tannoys), and now I'm turning to my neglected Systemdek IIX900.
First phase in upgrading would be a new cartridge! So: Which cartridge?
General opinion says MC...OK, but the Accuphase only does MM!
The Denon 110 seems a good candidate, but implies cranking up the system, or, would I really need a phono stage to get best results (maybe a dumb question there, but I'll let it stay :))?
All and any opinions welcome!

Thanks,
Alistair

Thanks for the input!
Should have said: RB 250 with modified stub/counterweight.
My idea was to move to an MC type cartridge.

Glowbug:
Will a high output cart on MM inputs mean cranking up the volume to get good listening levels?

Vinylkid58:
I'm just getting back into vinyl and the last I knew (20 years ago) was that Audio Technica were great :)! I'll check out the OM30 Super though.

Will a high output cart on MM inputs mean cranking up the volume to get good listening levels?

Nah. The DL-110 has a 1.6mV output, compared to a typical MM around 4-5mV, but most MM phono stages wouldn't have a problem with that. I know I didn't when I used one. Had a modded RB250 too (on a VPI HW-19jr).

The DL-103 is a more typical MC at .3mV, though...that will need a step-up transformer or phono stage that's capable of it.

Hi GK7,

I'm happy to be wrong, but i recall from the reading that I did a year or so ago, that an RB 250 & a Goldring, were thought not to be the best pairing.
Please correct me, as that would open up more choices!

All of my experience with TT's dates from the 70's & early 80's, (yeah, I'm that old!), so I'm really just getting back into this! Very happy to learn anything useful. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.