Need suggestions for the best cartridge match for a Kenwood KD-550 tonearm....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys!

Special thanks to directdriver for his positve ID of the mystery tonearm!

Now to the heart of the matter, I am soliciting opinions as to what is the best cartridge match for a Kenwood KD-550 tone arm mated with a 1962 Empire TT.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! :)

Tonearm specs...

Here are some specs I was able to dig up on the tonearm:

Effective length; 237 mm

Overhang: 15 mm

Stylus presure range: 0-4 gm

Usable cartridge range: 5-12 gm

Dimensions: 502x382x162 mm

Wieght: 15.5 gm

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• Armtwo.jpg
    Armtwo.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 223
  • Armone.jpg
    Armone.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 208
Judging by the way your arm is mounted on the Empire 208, you cannot treat the Kenwood arm effective length at 237mm. The Empire stock arm's effective length is 228.6mm (9") and since the Kenwood arm is mounted dead center in hole, it is acting just like the Empire arm because you are not changing the spindle to pivot distance, which is 210.4mm and Empire overhang is 18.2mm.

Unless you file the hole bigger and shift the Kenwood arm farther away from the spindle to make the spindle to pivot distance to be 222mm. There's about 11mm mounting difference between the Empire arm and Kenwood arm. Since the Kenwood arm is mounted like the Empire arm, you have to treat the Kenwood arm geometry like the Empire arm. In practice, you either have to shift the cartridge further back about 11mm from where it supposed to be to similar the Empire geometry or you have to shift the arm base by 11mm to fully match the Kenwood arm geometry.

In plain English, don't use the Kenwood geometry because the way it is mounted right now unless you modified the Empire chassis.

Link to further detail on the topic of arm geometry:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70898.0

options for mounting...

I agree with directdriverregarding options. There is however another option that can work: Replace the headshell with a new one of a similar design, but "hack out" everything beyond the 1/2" centered mounting slots/holes, and create a plate to put on top of it. That way you can adjust (easily) the angle and mounting distance, without altering an original arm, or an old Empire (you suck, 'cause I've always wanted one).

Attachments

• headshell options.jpg
    headshell options.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 186
For comparison of the Empire & Kenwood tonearms and use accordingly.

EFFECTIVE LENGTH ------------ Empire = 228.6 mm ----- Kenwood = 237 mm

OVERHANG -------------------- Empire = 18.2 mm ------ Kenwood = 15.0 mm

SPINDLE TO PIVOT DISTANCE -- Empire = 210.4 mm ----- Kenwood = 222 mm

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In plain English, don't use the Kenwood geometry because the way it is mounted right now unless you modified the Empire chassis.

When we were selling these new, we would always set up the cartridge using the Dennesson protractor. None of the Japanese arms had a geometry that allowed us to mount the cartridge without a bit of twist in the headshell, or sometimes even a need to file the slots to allow us to move the cartridge further back or forward.

dave

er...directdriver, where you get those specs?

as the title of my response states, where'd ya get those specs?

the Vinyl Engine states:
Empire arm: 228.6mm, 17.3mm O/H, 23.8 ° O/S, 211.3 pivot to spindle

Kenwood KD550 arm: 237mm, 15 mm, unstated, 222mm pivot to spindle

looks like 10mm is needed to elongate the slots and to allow for a "twist", as per Dave.

Sorry, I simply lifted the numbers from the postings in Audiocircle: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70898.0

It turns out the overhang number for the Empire is theoretical, not the published spec, and the discrepancy is 1mm. I believe if you use a protractor and have enough slop room on either headshell or mounting area, you will arrive at a satisfactory point.

Sorry for adding confusion. Regardless of specs, what Big_Bill has is a great turntable (I used to own many Empire tables) with a seemingly well constructed tonearm and with a little tweaking and adjustment he will have great result.

Sorry, I simply lifted the numbers from the postings in Audiocircle: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70898.0

It turns out the overhang number for the Empire is theoretical, not the published spec, and the discrepancy is 1mm. I believe if you use a protractor and have enough slop room on either headshell or mounting area, you will arrive at a satisfactory point.

Sorry for adding confusion. Regardless of specs, what Big_Bill has is a great turntable (I used to own many Empire tables) with a seemingly well constructed tonearm and with a little tweaking and adjustment he will have great result.

Thank you!

I agree!

I'm thinking of using the stock one from my old Pioneer PL-630 to customize. :bulb:

P.S. Does anyone have a cartridge alignment tool they are willing to part with?

Well I now have a protractor and have set up the table using the stevenson math and it sounds great! I was able to slide the cartridge far enough back under the head shell to make it work.

Thanks again for everyones help!

Bill. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.