Golf Balls cut in half to assist turntable suspension? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2003, 02:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Golf Balls cut in half to assist turntable suspension?

I aquired an older Technics SL-1400 MK2 turntable. I suspect it is better quality than my current older Technics SL D212 turntable as it weighs about 3 times that of the SL D212. I had a dealer peruse it and he informed me the suspension springs were gone. He and myself tried to get replacements but Technics do not stock them ( 1979 vintage). I have tried all the web turntable repair places and no , no one has them used or new.

I was wondering if those tweak ideas such as golf balls cut in half may improve the situation?

Any opinions?
Old 16th May 2003, 06:24 AM   #2
Raka is offline Raka  Europe
diyAudio Member

Maybe you can search "compatible" springs from another maker, Linn?
Do you play golf?
Old 16th May 2003, 07:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

When I used to take things apart in my youth, I remember chopping a golf ball in half once, and the inside was packed with tiny strands of compressed rubber. They expanded out as soon as taken out of compression, and I don't see how this would work for a suspension system.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th May 2003, 07:58 AM   #4
Raka is offline Raka  Europe
diyAudio Member

I ask about the golf, because I used to play squash, do you get it?
Old 16th May 2003, 08:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Raka
I ask about the golf, because I used to play squash, do you get it?

The whole is better than the sum of the parts, though!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th May 2003, 08:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I would either try the half squash balls as has been suggested, or remove the springs and lock down the suspension to make it a solid plinth TT, then use a sandbox or innertube for solid or suspended floors respectively.

The SL1200 isn't a bad TT if you replace the arm, but I'm unsure of the 1400. Also, get a bottle of bearing lube for the SL1200 ($4), which is a current part or available from www.kabusa.com and lube the bearing good. Needs to be done ever 12 months or so, and no one ever does it. I nearly binned an SP10 before I lubed it, now it's quiet like a mouse. Not a pink one.
Old 16th May 2003, 11:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I assume he meant squash or tennis balls. Golf balls would be a chore to cut in half, not to mention the lack of suspension they would offer.
Old 16th May 2003, 03:07 PM   #8
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I'm curious as to how a turntable spring expires, and how a dealer would diagnose such a fault. Not to put too fine a point on it, I don't see any way in which a turntable spring could fail. We're not talking about tank suspension springs that are hammered by being driven at full tilt across a field with shell holes, we're talking about a suspension that is treated with reverence and prayed to each day (oh God, please don't let me scrunge the stylus).
Old 16th May 2003, 03:47 PM   #9
Gregm is offline Gregm  Europe
diyAudio Member

You could get a set of tuned (i.e. matched frequency) springs from another TT manufacturer, as suggested above.

They'd have to fit, of course, so check the diametres, screws etc on the subassembly.

A parts shop may stock this stuff too; bet you it would be cheaper than the branded equivalent
Old 28th May 2003, 09:17 AM   #10
ktigerb is offline ktigerb  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Talking springs

greetings audio addict

chuck the springs and invest in a decent isolation platform.
If I remember right the springs work similar to the SP10 MKII/Obsidian base combo in that their function is to filter out low frequency feedback (supposdly tuned to 16hzs) but nevertheless detract from an otherwise perfect TT.
A diy platform is easy and you can use the balls there. I used 6 "super bounce" plastic foam balls cut in half with 3 sheets of 16mm mdf 4 AT605 feet (can use 4 halves instead if feet not available)and for fun a sheet of glass and 4 self made alu spikes . Will eventually take pic (if anyone interested) and the best part was it won instant WAP when finished in black.
End result no feedback/vibration of any kind at all and believe me with a Micro BL 77 you will hear it if it is there.

All other attempts never got to first base. (mind you if I added some flashing leds to the bottom it could be miscontrued for an UFO)
regards

Hide this!Advertise here!