eBay Digital Stylus Gauge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
Has anyone used a Canrong digital gauge before, and how do they rate against a regular Shure manual gauge?

And while searching for digital stylus gauge and digital gauge on eBay I stumbled on this
The price is only one fifth (or less depending your source) of the Canrong and the specs and looks are very similar

http://cgi.ebay.com/T02-05-PORTABLE...in_0?hash=item27ab5b1459&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

The seller is from Australia

I just bid on one so wish me the best of luck.

Shouldn't the weighing platform be on the other side?If you use the platform on the tonearm side you will read numbers up side down with this one.Maybe that's why the price is low?I am using a similar one with platform on the right side and it is very good.I also have a shure,very useful if you run out of batteries on the digital one.Good it works with AAA batteries,the others with button batteries need new ones every 6-8 uses.I would cancel my bid if I were you.

Last edited:
Guys, i know this is an old thread but i have the same question.

Anyone using one of these?
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Precise-digital-stylus-gauge-MC-MM-Cartridge-turntable-Phono-Step-up-/300688667350?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460270f2d6#ht_1389wt_1398

This one looks exactly the same as project's measure-it gauge, so either this is a remake or project is a rebranded one..
For the money i'm willing to take the risk, however since i don't own another gauge i have no way telling if this thing is correct.

Hi 713, thanks for the link! These are so dirtcheap i just ordered 2, so i can compare and see if they come up with the same weight each time. Guess you are allowed to go a little crazy for 10 bucks.;-0

I'm really curious though if these are the same as pro-ject once sold, if so someone must have a GOOD laugh over there.

Apparently this is all plastic fantastic so should work, but maybe 713 can comment on that. On deal extremes site a reviewer states it's non magnetic, and from all (mixed) reviews i have read they were magnetic but not anymore. But might change from batch to batch too i guess.
If you are interested i will post when i get mine.

Non magnetic?

Theres only one way to find out.

I will test with a magnet and post later.

Dont believe it is though.

The scale part can appear to be a little out of sorts on some models, where you put the item to be weighed, still works well though despite this cosmetic flaw.

Many thanks 713. These are worth it because they allow you to set VTF at the record height - I have an use another one from ebay, works well enough except that it is magnetic so you have to be very careful with that. The thing is much thicker too, so you need to remove the platter or some other maneuvering to get an accurate reading.

At a tenner you can't go too wrong!

Fran

We have a full set of calibration weights in the lab here so I used them to check out one of the cheap Ebay scales .

They were within the stated precision and accuracy throughout their range and the position of the weight on the pan made no difference at all to the readings.

Taken together, this means you could attach a small plastic step to the pan to move the weigh point off and down - a strip the size and shape of a credit card bent into a stairstep would work.

Non magnetic?

Theres only one way to find out.

I will test with a magnet and post later.

Dont believe it is though.

The scale part can appear to be a little out of sorts on some models, where you put the item to be weighed, still works well though despite this cosmetic flaw.

Hi: I did my magnetic test with a very small but powerful magnet. It stuck but only very slightly. When I flipped it over the magnet barely held on. The plate where the weight goes appears to be stainless or perhaps it is some weird alloy. I dont think it will be a factor in setting VTF with LOMC`s.

The plate where the weight goes appears to be stainless or perhaps it is some weird alloy. I dont think it will be a factor in setting VTF with LOMC`s.

It's probably a 300 series stainless. Austenitic alloys are only completely non-magnetic in the annealed condition, they gain permeability when deformed so a piece of pressed sheet will often exhibit that behaviour.

So the gauge arrived during the week. Its actually pretty OK, although it does "feel" cheap.

The platform looks like stainless steel, but the magnetic thing is a bit of a moot point because its actually an arm balance, and the mechanism is inside the main body - on some of the other cheap balances the mech is right under the pan so if you have magnetic attraction, you will have a false reading. The unit powers up AOK and does indeed have 0.01g display.

So, like Mark above, I have a set of E2 calibration weights in work, from 2mg upwards. The pan on mine was tilted up at an angle - which I would eventually end up bending downwards a little - and I did my tests before an after this adjustment.

I started off by doing the internal calibration (hold down the power button) - a 5g weight is required. I then tested repeat weighings using a 2g weight. This worked out AOK with the balance returning to 0.00 after each weighing. I repeated this at 0.1g and the results were not as impressive. The balance did return back to 0.00g each time, but the actual reading varied a bit. So I dropped lower to 0.01g (the apparent resolution of the balance) and nada, nothing - the weight wasn't even registered.

So I did a few more experiments. I put the 1g weight on the pan and tried adding other smaller weights to it. I found that it worked ok from 0.05g upwards, below that the readings were erratic.

So what's the upshot of all this? Well, the real resolution of the balance is ~0.05g at 1g upwards, and is probably worse below that. However, for use as a cartridge scales, the unit works fine and is plenty accurate enough, its just not as good as advertised.

After this I brought the pan on my one back down to level with the base and rechecked - with the same result.

Is it worth it? Well for 12.99 Yes has to be the answer!! I would love to lay hands on one of the cosmetically identical versions of this little balance that is sold by the big brands and see if they perform better.

Fran

PS shipping took ~ 2 weeks to Europe (free shipping)

Fuzion Extreme scale (must be similar to what you got)...

made in China, but seems pretty accurate. this one is somewhat magnetic. I made a step using some styrofoam to help prevent magnetic attraction(as usual, salvaged), a large paper clip and some masking tape. Anything that can be bent to the correct shape and is non-magnetic is fine. If I had some suitable plastic I would make the step out of it as Mark says, or even a magnet glued to whatever I made the step from. Then it could be easy to use it for other things if required. I used water to calibrate mine (1 ml= 1 gr , the manufacturer suggested using a 50 gr weight to calibrate, but I couldn't find one around town, so water it was). Certainly +/- .005 gr is a lot better than using a Shure balance.

I use a laser tachometer for checking speed (cheap) capable of reading +/- .05 RPM, so close enough for me. I've made my own protractor to allow for tone arm geometry when using long arms, else I use the Oracle "Calibrator" protractor.

What do others use for test records? And should one get a frequency counter to compare to stated test frequency on the record? Seems like even if the laser tach reads a good speed, it still needs to be compared to an actual frequency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.