Papst Motor Capstan removal ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've accumulated a couple of Papst Motors for an upcoming turntable project.

What is the best way to remove the capstans from the motor shaft without damaging the shaft or the motor?

The capstans appear to be press fit and can't be removed by hand (at least not by my hands).

One motor was taken from an Empire turntable and the other from a Fairchild. See the attached picture.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 272
I'd find a machine shop with a small manual press and ask them to remove them. I took a press-fit pulley off an old Linn motor, and it took almost 2 tons of pressure to remove the damn thing - sometimes you can get lucky with a heat gun and a little tapping, but why risk damaging the motor(s).

-Richard

I use a soldering iron to heat up the pully in your case the capstan. Put the tip of the iron on the top of the pully and wait a minute then try to pull it of if not heat up the capstan little longer the heat will not destroy the motor. Use gloves when you try to remove the capstan it will be hot.

Good luck

Anders

I was thinking you could use one of those small butane lighters that you find in camping stores for starting fires in the wind. Try heating the capstan from a distance and heat equally on all sides while trying to avoid the motor shaft. If you point the shaft down and get lucky, it just might fall off.

I like the idea of using a puller though if you can find one. It's probably a safer bet.

If you don't have any use for the nylon mounting bushings and screws from your Empire motor, I could use them. Feel free to send me a PM.

Did you see what Berndt came up with for his latest Empire project? It's very cool!

Attachments

• berndt_tt.jpg
    berndt_tt.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 174
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.