Scott Radio 310 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2009, 03:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Scott Radio 310

So I have in an old tube radio that I'd love to find a little more info about. I found the following site http://www.hhscott.com/the.htm but it seems to not quite fit what I have. Here's the details

Scott Radio (made in Chicago) model 310 - however, on the metal plate that lists the model and serial number, a "U" is stamped right before the '310'. Right after the '310' the letters "CA" are stamped in the metal. Serial number is 22349 if this makes any difference. The "U" and the "CA" stampings are what I'm not finding info about at the above site.

I should have asked my grandad this while he was still alive since I've wanted this radio for as long as I can remember. It looks like he built a custom case for it - it's encased in plexiglass and he built a fan and cooling vents throughout the enclosure.

Does anyone know the approximate value of this?
Old 31st August 2009, 11:39 AM   #2
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Hi frontier
Here http://www.mcmlv.org/Archive/HiFi/Scott310E.pdf you will find the service data for this radio.
From the specifications and the schematic, I would say that this is a good radio.

Best Regards
George
Old 31st August 2009, 01:15 PM   #3
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Hi frontier

It is quite strange, but it seems there are two different Scott Radio Model 310 around. The one which I linked to in the above post is actually a tuner (no audio power amplifier) and it was built after 1960.

Here http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByM...0/M0016590.pdf you will find another Scott Radio (it has an audio power amplifier) Model 310 which was built around 1951.

Which one do you have inherited from your grandfather?

Regards
George
Old 19th April 2013, 09:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi, I hope you will please post some pictures of your Scott 310.

There were two well-know audio-related companies named Scott:

E.H. Scott was based in Chicago, flourished before World War II and went out of business in the early 1950s. They made console radios that were among the very best at the time.

H.H. Scott was based in Massachusetts and operated from the 1940s through the 1970s. Their equipment is still valued today, including the 310 tuner.

After E.H. Scott had gone out of business, another company bought their name and trademark and started marketing "Scott" products in the late 1950s. By that time, H.H. Scott was well-established and sued to protect their trademark. They won.

Here is the court case in case you are interested:

H. H. SCOTT, INC. v. ANNAPOLIS ELECTROACOUSTIC CORP.
195 F.Supp. 208 (1961)
H. H. SCOTT, INC., a Massachusetts corporation,
v.
ANNAPOLIS ELECTROACOUSTIC CORP., a Maryland corporation, also trading as Scott Laboratories, Inc., Division, Defendant, and
Scott Radio Laboratories, Inc., Intervening Defendant.
Civ. No. 12669.
United States District Court D. Maryland.
June 16, 1961.

404-Error

Hide this!Advertise here!