Seeking info: researching the Trio Kenwood L-07D for a magazine article

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. Hope all of you and your decks are well :)

I've been asked by Dan George, the editor of Hi-Fi Choice magazine here in the UK, to do a feature on a piece of classic Japanese hi-fi, and, as a happy owner, the Trio/Kenwood L-07D sprang straight to mind.

I'm trying to get together some print-quality pics (and scans of brochures and adverts) of L-07Ds, as well as perhaps trying to dig out a bit more info on the deck itself, and was wondering if I might be able to call on your group expertise.

When I was working ten years ago at Hi-Fi World magazine, I was on a press-trip to Germany with Kenwood, and met their chief audio designer there. We spent a little time talking about the design of the L-07D (he was head of the L-series design team back in the late-Seventies/early Eighties), but I lost my notes of that conversation many years ago unfortunately. I'm going to try to contact Kenwood (and their erstwhile Marketing Manager) in an attempt to refresh my memory, but if anyone here has any useful contacts or info, do please let me know (especially contacts in Japan, as a friend of mine speaks perfect Japanese :) )

It would be interesting to find out for sure just how much of an input Micro Seiki had, in both the design and production of the L-07D. My dream is to find a group photo of the L-series design and production team, captioned with all their names :) I was told the following by Axel, the very friendly and helpful owner of The Vintage Knob web site:

‘The L-07D was (at least) partly engineered by Micro Seiki and it is possible that Mr Teragaki, free-lance engineer, had a hand in it or a consulting job for the basic goal. However, since the Micro and Kenwood of those days are long gone, the details of all this are probably now sadly impossible to find.'

As far as I remember, some of Kenwood's top audio engineers left the company in the Seventies to found Kensonic, which then became Accuphase. Be nice to find out more about that too, and whether any of them had also been involved with the early stages of the design of the L-series.

One other handy piece of information I'm trying to track down is an interview (in Stereophile, I think) with the owner of VPI, who I seem to remember mentioned that he'd owned an L-07D and was very fond of it: that would be a great quote for my article.

Any pics and scans would be gratefully received. Brief written impressions of the performance of a properly serviced L-07D against modern decks would be much appreciated too.

Unfortunately, time is of the essence in the writing of this article, as I've only been given a week to do it!

Cheers, Jon.

Hi Nanook.

As I mentioned in my post, I've already contacted Axel at TVK, and he's been very helpful and informative. What I'm really after is any extra information and owners' pics. I understand the L-07D is rare, so if there are no extra info or pics to be had, fair enough :) !

Stuey: heh, heh, if I thought David had any extra info, I might well ask him - he's a nice guy. But I'm not sure there will be any more info at HFW now than when I was there, which wasn't a great deal :)

Cheers, Jon.

Triophile said:
Stuey: heh, heh, if I thought David had any extra info, I might well ask him - he's a nice guy. But I'm not sure there will be any more info at HFW now than when I was there, which wasn't a great deal :)

Cheers, Jon.

Hi Jon,

So, does he REALLY know every member of every band he ever listens to? ;)

You know, like '...Tim Bloggs' kettle drum exhibited too much bloat through the blah blah blah speakers....'.

Good luck with the search.

Stuey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.