Line Level attenuation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2003, 12:18 PM   #1
habana is offline habana  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Line Level attenuation

Does anyone know the resister values needed to attenuate the CD line-in on my amplifier. I want to attenuate it by about 12dB.

Thanks.
Old 8th May 2003, 09:09 AM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Do you know the input resistance of your amplifier?
Old 8th May 2003, 09:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default attenuation

Hi EC8010

I'm sorry I don't. Is that important? I was thinking along the lines of the Kimber attenuators, they are general purpose units so I understand.
Old 8th May 2003, 11:30 AM   #4
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Make a voltage divider with the ratio 1:4

=>

10 k + 3.3k these values will work if the input impedance is >10 kohm (most likely) and if not lower the values, 5.6k + 1.8 k maybe?
Old 8th May 2003, 02:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Line attenuation

Thanks for the reply.

I've actually built a passive pre amp using stepped attenuators and so the CD output goes straight into the power amps. Does this make any difference?

Excuse my ignorance but in the example you gave (10K, 3.3K) which value goes on the line and which on the return to line?

Thanks.
Old 12th May 2003, 09:35 AM   #6
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe

The 10k goes in series with the line. The 3k3 goes from across the input of the preamp.
Old 12th May 2003, 10:20 AM   #7
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

It helps if you know the input resistance. The resistor values suggested will work, but the input resistance loading your CD player will be roughly 10k. Most CD players use an op-amp output stage, and most op-amps produce higher distortion into lower resistance loads. Admittedly, 10k should be just outside that range, but if you can have a higher input resistance, why not? If you had known that the input resistance of your pre-amplifier was 10k (for instance), you could have simply added a 30k series resistor, and your new input resistance would have been 40k. You might prefer to keep the input resistance constant when adding attenuators, just in case the input resistance affects the sound.
Old 12th May 2003, 10:24 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default atten

Don't forget that adding these largish resistors in series does worsen your signal-to-noise ratio (which will be worsened anyway by the attenuation).
I don't know any CD output stages (except possibly weakish tubed ones) that are hurt by a couple of kilo-ohms load. I would go even lower, 3k series and 1 k to gnd.

Jan Didden
Old 12th May 2003, 10:43 AM   #9
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe

Default A final point...

The attenuator should be at the destination end of the cable.

Cheers,
Old 12th May 2003, 10:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Senior Member

Default Brrr...

Hi,

Quote:
A final point...
All data given is way too vague but I understand D'haen's point when he suggested the attenuators at the end of the cable.

All in all a middle of the the road decision is called for here, vere to either end and you'll face a frequency abberation.

I agree with D'haen, best put the attenuator at the amp input.

Poor Q poor A I'm afraid,

P.S. Yet another case for transmissionline transfer theory.

Hide this!Advertise here!