Turntable - Reverse Motor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know how to do this with a basic stamp to tell the motor to input the electricity backwards but I don't have one at my disposal, so how would I get my motor to reverse play?

I can get into the internals easy enough and I can find the electricity wires, but I just don't know what I would do once I un-soldered it. I remember double throw switches but I forgot how to operate one.

Anyone mind helping me out? Thanks

Reversing direction on SL 1200

Could turn it upside down that would do the job!!!
I have had a look at the circuit diagram for the control circuits for the driver coils. It could be done by reversing the rotation of the drives to the motor coils from the AN6675 drive IC. But then you would also need to reverse sense coils, it all gets very complicated!!

It is not the type of mod to undertake unless you are a competent electronis person the amount of switching required is not simple and any mistake would cause the control IC to die very quickly.

Reverse

It is a Very simple task. before I explain Hi there.
You will be able to reverse the motor or any motor, but there is a simple check before you do this, check to see what type of conacts internally if it is brushes, you must smooth the ragged edges before allowing the motor to reverse ye, just reverse the + and N - terminals and the motor will reverse at the same forward speed. only reverse the polariy exactly at the motor, you could do this by a double pole switch depending on application, hope this has'nt put a spanner in your plans. :bawling: :att'n:

The SL1200 used an electronically commutated 3 phase motor. No brushes in sight!
As Nimbus said, you have to swap the connections of two of the three drive coil phases.
Along with that, you'd have to switch the phase pickup coils that detect the phase rotation sequence.
It's not *difficult* but you have to understand how the DD motor works so you don't damage it.

Have you got the schematic (circuit diagram) ?

On Assembly PWX 006, PL570

Swap pin 13/14 - drive to motor coil B/C

Swap pin 10/5 - Hall phase detection C+/B+
Swap pin 3/7 - Hall phase detection C-/B-

(If the motor does not run smoothly, restore the swapped connnection 13/14, and swap 12/13 instead. If that doesnt't work, restore 12/13 and swap 12/14. One of the 3 will work. The schematic doesn't show precisely the rotation sequence, so it has to be a guess.)

Attachments

• pion.gif
    pion.gif
    14 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
The PL570 also uses an FG pickup, but a dual pickup. Why they use this type could be for several reasons, but the most likely is that a single FG pickup head is sensitive to any eccentricity (off centre-ness) in the tacho track/stripe. Using a dual sensor allows you to eliminate any error due to that eccentricity.

Attachments

• pl570.gif
    pl570.gif
    22.1 KB · Views: 113
Technics SL-1210 SL-1200 DJ Reverse Kit

I am also looking for a way to make the platter on my Technics SL-1200mk2 to go in reverse so I can turn it into a "direct-coupling" motor to rim drive another platter a la Teres Verus motor. Any idea anyone? I would appreciate the help.

@directdriver

Just came across this thread and read about your dilema..... :confused:

You can get one of these new Technics reverse kits from 4thstateaudio.

It simply plugs into the main board - reverse is selected with the start-stop switch.

Web address : 4thstateaudio - Technics Turntable Reversing Module

Have fun :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.