Newbie DIY tonearm question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I have decided to build a Ladegaard air bearing tonearm for a Thorens TD-124. I came up with a couple ideas that I’d like opinions on. I have read numerous articles on this design and the only issue seems to be the air noise. My idea involves using two 12” long 1” square aquarium air stone diffusers mounted at a 45 degree angle to each other instead of the two lower pieces of aluminum angle. I would seal the sides, back surfaces, and the joint between the two stones with epoxy so that air would only be allowed to escape from the top surfaces. I would think that this would be a nearly completely diffused surface if it worked. Of course it may also be too diffused to allow adequate pressure to work. The rest of the design would remain.

The other idea is for the arm tube. I happen to be a tournament bass fisherman and I have a couple of broken high end casting rods laying around. They are Loomis GLX graphite which is very light and very strong. I thought that I could use a portion of the tapered butt-end for the arm tube. Since it’s tapered I could even cut the blank at a diameter that would be correct to install a detachable headshell socket.

Any opinions on either of these ideas would be appreciated. If these are stupid ideas, just tell me. You won’t hurt my feelings. I'm new to this and these are just a couple ideas that popped into my head.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Airborne tangential arm is really special

But issues with noisy airpumps is really a pain
And it needs to be kept completely free of dust

I would suggest trying a simple unipivot arm
Many ways to do it
And lots of fun experiments possible

Attachments

• unipivot.jpg
    unipivot.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 723
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.