DD belt drive platter via VHS tape - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2009, 08:10 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mr. Kelly! It's good to know there's major advancement in motor technology for turntables. Is it a high speed unit? How much is it? Can it run slower and use a bigger pulley such as the size of a 12" platter to decrease belt creep? Very interesting indeed!
Old 20th September 2009, 09:57 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I'm still in the first stage of the design, which for me consists of constructing mathematical models of all the elements of the drive so that I can optimise the transfer functions.

The motor I used is a Maxon 80 watt EC three phase with a single pole pair so it rotates very fast - in this drive I'm thinking of running it at 3000 RPM. In the Garrard I ran it at about 1500 RPM and that was slower than the motor likes.

It cost about $500 and then I made some bearing modifications which cost yet more and involved pulling down and rebuilding the motor. This takes some doing - the rotor magnets are very powerful, if you don't watch it the rotor will smash into the nearest steel object which will chip it and throw it out of balance, goodbye one motor. Now ask me how I know this.

If I go ahead with this I may substitute one of the EC-Max motors which are a little less
expensive.

My solution for belt creep is not the same as yours.
Old 24th September 2009, 04:26 PM   #13
Reactor is offline Reactor  Poland
diyAudio Member

Default .

Firstly I'd like to say hello to everyone! This is my first post here.

great project directdriver ! this solution looks pretty smart congrats!

R
Old 24th September 2009, 05:53 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Welcome Reactor!

Thanks for the kind words. Here are more toy set ups just for kicks.

First one is using a Technics SL-M3 tape-driving a passive platter via VHS tape.

Second one is using another Technics SL-M3 thread-driving a platter via dental floss.

Third one is using two identical Pioneer PL-570 turntables tape-driving each other via VHS tape.

There will be more combinations from previous set ups once I find all the pictures.

The easiest for people to try is to find an easily available direct-drive turntable with high torque such as Technics SL-1200mk2, either used or new unit and find a flat edge platter and place on top of the Technics upside down and use it as a adapter plate or pulley. And voila, you have a world class belt-drive motor that can compete with many high end products out there. And if you don't like it, it's easy to sell the SL-1200mk2 online. No loss. I can take this kind of set up and confidently challenge any VPI motor set up out there. Again, the only problem for many people is table space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TechnicsSLM3_1.jpg (142.1 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg EmpireSLM3_1.jpg (205.8 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg PL570_dd1.jpg (127.4 KB, 353 views)
Old 24th September 2009, 06:20 PM   #15
Reactor is offline Reactor  Poland
diyAudio Member

I agree with you, it's true that You can build equipment comparable to the turntables worth a fortune. I am going to build my own TT in the near future. Solid aluminum plate with a thickness of 6cm , stone or wood base. Now i'm designing, and getting some informations from the web.

cheers!
Old 2nd November 2009, 09:02 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Here is my version with silk thread and Teres bearing

What are you doing with your new Teres Bearing
Regards,
Hakan
Old 2nd November 2009, 03:14 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Great work!

I wish more belt-driver owners can try this before spending so much money on aftermarket motors and power supply. One can get a decent DD turntable with pitch control for a reasonable price.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 4th November 2009, 04:31 AM   #18
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default belt drive tt owners and upgrades ...

Quote:
Great work!

I wish more belt-driver owners can try this before spending so much money on aftermarket motors and power supply. One can get a decent DD turntable with pitch control for a reasonable price.

Thanks for sharing!
Not necessarily a bad idea. Few would argue the typical speed accuracy of a decent DD table. But why not kill off the belt altogether and run a DD and a passive bearing and platter as a system. A "direct drive" idler type? Not sure if the motors are AC or DC in the DD types, but polarity may be able to be reversed if a DC type at the motor leads. ....
The speed stability and drive is one of the things that the idlers are well known for. Now if I could just afford a decent idler..
Old 4th November 2009, 06:17 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I have tried using a direct-drive turntable to drive an idler wheel in order to drive a passive platter. And it definitely has that "idler sound". I used the idler wheel from a Lenco turntable. However, keeping the tension right is a pain and I had to disengage the idler wheel from touching the platter to avoid building flat spot on the idler wheel. I would like to try making the DD platter going backward and put a large O'ring around it to drive the passive platter directly, a la "direct coupling" of Teres Verus motor. I tried that on a Technics motor one time but I think I swapped the wires wrong and fried the motor. I would like to try it on a Pioneer PL-570 motor. Anyway, belt-driving a passive platter by a DD turntable is very quiet and sound MUCH better than conventional motor with a small pulley. It takes up a lot of table space but most of my friends thought it just looks weird and never bother to try it. One friend did try it on his Teres platter and cannot go back to his Papst motor from the Empire 208 turntable. I certainly can't go back. Many DD motors are typically three phase AC motors. I already got the instruction to flip the set of wires to make it run reverse, I just have to sit down and do it one day. But I have too many projects at hand to deal that right now. I hope someone will try it and show us some pictures!
Old 6th November 2009, 04:50 AM   #20
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default directdriver... instux please....

ok, how to do it (reverse rotation)? What about the speed...if a smaller "platter" could be used and the speed increased and then drive directly via the smaller reverse rotating DD motor.

hmm , I think it could be very interesting.

Hide this!Advertise here!