An interesting way to clean records - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2009, 10:24 PM   #1
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default An interesting way to clean records

http://digitanalogue.blogspot.com/20...l-records.html

dave
Old 28th June 2009, 10:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Looks interesting. Worth a try. Cheaper than LAST!

Jonathan
Old 28th June 2009, 11:38 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Woe betide you if you do not get every last bit of that glue out the first time. Experiment with disks you don't care about until you figure it out.. And make sure you use a PVA based glue, not all wood glues are..
Old 29th June 2009, 03:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

There were a number of guys on audiokarma who tried out the glue with semi mixed results.
Old 29th June 2009, 03:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Tried it. No better than my usual manual methods, but a much larger PITA. What are my usual methods? Glad you asked- it's always good for a firestorm of disapproval. I use an old Watts record cleaning brush and one of three things. First is the DIY solution posted various places consisting of water, isopropyl and a wetting agent. IMO, it's not very effective and I use it less and less. The second tier is a lab detergent made for cleaning glassware- Alconox if I remember correctly. Pretty good, but not the ultimate. The ultimate is an enzyme cleaner that's safe, gentle and gets out just about everything- "Out" pet stain remover. After scrubbing with the grooves I rinse with clean water, pat dry then quickly complete the job by drying with a slightly humid Discwasher brush. I also have a steam cleaner that's quite effective. IMHO, it isn't the steam, but the fact that it's producing pure distilled water, which is an excellent solvent on it's own, and leaves nothing behind.
Old 30th June 2009, 05:52 AM   #6
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I started a thread with the same subject not long ago:

My LP cleaning method
Old 30th June 2009, 07:35 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Used to protect.

This 'glue method', can also be used to protect records against pressure.
If you need to pack some records for moving or something and you're worried about them being damaged by pressure, you can apply the layer, pack the records, and remove the layer when you unpack.
Old 1st July 2009, 01:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ballsingtripp Send a message via MSN to ballsingtripp
^ At 5 hours per record?
Old 3rd September 2009, 05:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

It works, i'm currently using it for cleaning records. The most important thing is that it CLEANS FUNGUS and molds!!

BTW for me it takes like 12H until the thing dries up. Maybe i should use carpenter glue. The question is... will RTV silicone work too?
Old 3rd September 2009, 07:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Binaural
I've been using this wood glue method for a little while now and I've had mixed results.

For some that have been in storage, outside the sleeve with tons and tons of dirt/dust/mold, or whatever, this seems to work very well because it gets every last speck out of the grooves.

For lightly dusty/dirty records, I just use dish detergent and my hands to scrub them, then wash them off with distilled water.

The biggest problem I've seen with this method besides the immense time required, is the static created when the glue is removed. This pretty much defeats the purpose of cleaning the record if it's going to be a literal magnet for dust and dirt after the glue is removed.

Just my $.02.

Hide this!Advertise here!