An interesting way to clean records

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tried it. No better than my usual manual methods, but a much larger PITA. What are my usual methods? Glad you asked- it's always good for a firestorm of disapproval. I use an old Watts record cleaning brush and one of three things. First is the DIY solution posted various places consisting of water, isopropyl and a wetting agent. IMO, it's not very effective and I use it less and less. The second tier is a lab detergent made for cleaning glassware- Alconox if I remember correctly. Pretty good, but not the ultimate. The ultimate is an enzyme cleaner that's safe, gentle and gets out just about everything- "Out" pet stain remover. After scrubbing with the grooves I rinse with clean water, pat dry then quickly complete the job by drying with a slightly humid Discwasher brush. I also have a steam cleaner that's quite effective. IMHO, it isn't the steam, but the fact that it's producing pure distilled water, which is an excellent solvent on it's own, and leaves nothing behind.

Used to protect.

This 'glue method', can also be used to protect records against pressure.
If you need to pack some records for moving or something and you're worried about them being damaged by pressure, you can apply the layer, pack the records, and remove the layer when you unpack.

I've been using this wood glue method for a little while now and I've had mixed results.

For some that have been in storage, outside the sleeve with tons and tons of dirt/dust/mold, or whatever, this seems to work very well because it gets every last speck out of the grooves.

For lightly dusty/dirty records, I just use dish detergent and my hands to scrub them, then wash them off with distilled water.

The biggest problem I've seen with this method besides the immense time required, is the static created when the glue is removed. This pretty much defeats the purpose of cleaning the record if it's going to be a literal magnet for dust and dirt after the glue is removed.

Just my $.02.

The biggest problem I've seen with this method besides the immense time required, is the static created when the glue is removed. This pretty much defeats the purpose of cleaning the record if it's going to be a literal magnet for dust and dirt after the glue is removed.

It does create lots of static, but that dirt which is atracted after cleaning is much more easier to remove. Plus, as mentioned, removes fungus and dirt that i can't remove even washing with soapy water.

You can discharge the record using a carbon fiber brush connected to earth by a wire. Or just pass your hand over the record till you discharge it.

I tried the PVA glue, it comes out well but the crackle seem to be still there. How can I ensure that that the glue pulls out all the dirt.

I am not sure if the glue is going till the bottom of the groove. Can one thin the glue with distilled water and put a thin layer first and then apply a thicker layer later.

Does any one have before/after sound samples.

I tried the PVA glue, it comes out well but the crackle seem to be still there. How can I ensure that that the glue pulls out all the dirt.

Does any one have before/after sound samples.

Glue can't repair damaged records. The remaining noise may just be damage from various causes. I do dillute for easier application, but you should still use the same amount of glue as you want your dried film to be thick enough to stay together and not crack into dozens of pieces. The glue thread over at audiokarma.org has some before/after samples.

I use this method somewhat frequently. 98% of my LPs are used. I first clean with a VPI. If it's still noisy after a listen or two I put it in the noisy pile, which I then glue up in batches. It can't repair a damaged record. It can sometimes get some dirt out that other cleaning methods miss, even a VPI. So yes, it's hit or miss. Sometimes a waste of time, often not.

I found a Van Gelder stamped Lionel Hampton a week or two ago for $2. It looked OK but had a speck of cardboard stuck to it that I couldn't get off with a fingernail. Likely would have ripped my stylus off. Scrub scrub scrub on the VPI and some of the cardboard dissolved at the surface, but it was still a stylus killer. One glue treatment and it was now playable, but still heard some noise as the stylus passed that point where it was stuck, tracked fine though. Another treatment and the noise was lesser still. The rest is mostly dead quiet, a great sounding LP now. That's an exception, I mostly use it for noise reduction vs. repairs. YMMV.

BTW, I use Titebond Extend (not Extend II), which is hard to find locally (try woodworking stores), but it peels itself off as it dries.

Titebond Extend at Rockler

Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.