Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2011, 09:48 AM   #21
stevieg is offline stevieg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That's an OEM Jelco arm, innit? It looks very SA-100ish.
Old 2nd September 2012, 08:52 PM   #22
rhing is offline rhing  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Just chiming in on this thread as I've recently come across one of these and need input/advice on the grease and any other lubricants to restore the performance of this turntable.

Thanks,
Old 6th September 2012, 04:05 PM   #23
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Great find guys

Wow, what a discovery. This belt/idler hybrid looks great. I'm sure that that it will perform well.

rhing: I've found good bicycle grease works well. I use "Bullshot", but it is no longer made. It's a red waterproof type and not as heavy as some automotive types. I'm confident that you could also try a heavy white lithium grease.

Now OT: I have a Kencraft/Trio table that I have never found any information on. Perhaps someone here knows the Kenwood tts quite well and can suggest a Kenwood equivalent? It is a Kencraft GX-870 full auto DD. I'll post a pix right way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000087.jpg (838.6 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by Nanook; 6th September 2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Added pix
Old 7th September 2012, 11:58 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tip on the grease. I will start looking for the appropriate lubricants. Apparently, Kenwood specified a Molybdenum Disulfide grease for the platter bearing. The original thrust bearing plate is a 19mm dia. x 4mm thick Polyurethane disc. I will look for Polyurethane discs, but it seems that Delrin (Acetal) would be a better material since it is harder, but not too hard, has lower friction and better wear and creep properties than Polyurethane. I may experiment with both materials to determine what will give the smoothest operation.
Old 14th September 2012, 10:39 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Molybdenum Disulfide grease...

...should be available at almost any Yamaha motorcycle parts counter under the "Yamalube" brand. And cheap too.

I like white lithium grease as you can make your own thermal grease by adding fine powdered aluminum to it..., finally the cheapskate in me comes out. It also doesn't stain the way red or black grease does.

I may have found an answer to my own question regarding the Kencraft table. It appears to be a slightly more upscale KP-5022(DD, unfortunately not the hybrid drive of the KP-5021).
Old 14th September 2012, 10:50 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
...should be available at almost any Yamaha motorcycle parts counter under the "Yamalube" brand. And cheap too.

I like white lithium grease as you can make your own thermal grease by adding fine powdered aluminum to it..., finally the cheapskate in me comes out. It also doesn't stain the way red or black grease does.

I may have found an answer to my own question regarding the Kencraft table. It appears to be a slightly more upscale KP-5022(DD, unfortunately not the hybrid drive of the KP-5021).
Hi Stew,

You must be reading my mind. I saw that same Yamalube listed on Amazon.com. I will check out the nearest Yamaha motorcycle dealer and get the grease. As for the thrust bearing plate, I purchased a 19mm dia. Delrin rod from the local plastics store, so I will part off a 4mm thick disk and sand the surfaces flat. I've read where many Lenco and Thorens TD-124 owners have replaced their thrust bearing plates with Delrin and significantly reduced the bearing friction and associated noise and rumble.
Old 15th September 2012, 12:33 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default thrust plates

Delrin should be fine. I would back it up with a metal piece somehow if possible, and perhaps try a new ball bearing.
Old 19th September 2012, 09:35 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

PC-400U, 1.jpg

This particular model was in relatively good shape cosmetically, but its platter drive system was in pretty rough shape. To restore proper operation of the drive system, I tore down the thrust bearing assemblies for the platter and belt/idler wheel pulley. The original Polyurethane thrust bearing plates in both bearing assemblies had disintegrated into pieces.

PC-400U, 2.jpg

I fabricated smooth-surfaced Delrin thrust bearing plates from Delrin rod stock. Next, I cleaned and polished the bearing and shaft surfaces and the platter bearing sleeve starting with Goo Gone, followed with lighter fluid and finally with Brasso metal polish. I did a final cleaning with lighter fluid and a microfiber cloth.

PC-400U, 3.jpg

I lubricated the platter shaft, bearing and bearing sleeve with Honda Pro Molybdenum Disulfide 60 grease. I used Shell Formula 5W-20 motor oil to lubricate the belt/idler wheel pulley shaft, bearing and sintered bronze sleeve.

PC-400U, 4.jpg

I used MG Chemicals Rubber Renue to recondition the original idler wheel rubber surfaces. This is a volatile and toxic substance, so I applied this only in a well-ventilated area.

After assembling everything back together, I found I needed to align the idler wheel with the stepped pulley to insure proper speed selection. I used #8 Nylon washers as shims in the idler wheel armature subassembly to adjust the height alignment of the idler wheel.

Finally, I put on a strobe disk and confirmed the speed accuracy and proper operation of the drive system. Here's a video showing how quietly and smoothly the platter rotates now.

Kenwood Trio PC-400U Idler/Belt Drive Turntable Test Drive, Part 1 - YouTube

So now I'm onto working on the tonearm and making all the final adjustments.
Old 23rd September 2012, 01:33 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I bought some 1/8" thick cork sheet from the local hardware store and used a hobby knife to cut out a new platter mat. It turned out very well for $2.

2012-09-22 15.00.18.jpg

I ordered a 3 gram headshell weight for vertical arm balance, a replacement belt for a spare and a replacement N-25 stylus for the original Kenwood MM cartridge that came with the turntable. Once that arrives, I will send this table on its maiden voyage feeding my refurbished and modified Dynaco SCA-35 integrated amplifier.

Can anyone help with instructions on adjusting the lateral balance and antiskate for the stock tonearm? I would appreciate any help. A copy of the service manual or owners manual would be awesome.

Thanks,
Old 23rd September 2012, 01:41 AM   #30
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Check on Vinylengine here: Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable, note to access the extensive library you need to be a member, but any serious vinylphile should be a member of this forum..

If this table is not in the library someone on that forum can probably help, probably here too..

Hide this!Advertise here!