When a Kenwood record cleaner-to be becomes a Garrard 301/Thorens TD124 Hybridmonster - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Damo72 is offline Damo72  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Thrust pads

Hi yes I thought about using somthing like that but decided to make one out of a white nylon cutting board (yes from the kitchen!!!) I have used this stuff before for other bushes with great success!!,seems to be like a self lubricating nylon,easy to mould and should last quite a while!! Cheers
Old 17th July 2009, 02:56 PM   #12
Damo72 is offline Damo72  Australia
diyAudio Member

Wink Your Kidding!!!

Well it looks like they improved on what they copied,by quite a margin,if that photo is anything to go by!!!(I might be insluting a famous and respected turntable,but I don't have one and have not seen one and can only go by the photo!!)Cheers
Old 18th July 2009, 02:43 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I agree. I used to own three of those famous Swiss turntables and I can say, judging by the Kenwood photos, the copycats look better. I want one!
Old 18th July 2009, 02:00 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

There's also a Denon (MP-270) from the 60's with the same 124 inspired drive layout.
Old 18th July 2009, 07:12 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Here's a Denon idler turntable:
http://audio-database.com/DENON-COLU...er/4025-e.html
Old 9th October 2009, 01:05 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Kenwood KP-5021

Hi honinbou. I recently purchased a Near Mint Kenwood KP-5021 on craigslist with two working cartridges (Audio Technica ATU4030LC & Shure M93E) for $50. My Idler Wheel appears to be intact, but is dry. It looks exactly like the Idler Wheel on your PC-400. Mine measures between 3 2/16” and 3 3/16”, but closer to 3 2/16.” I’m attempting to have the Idler Wheel rebuilt at http://www.TerrysRubberRollers.com (highly recommended from a friend). I just measured mine and its 8cm too. Just curious, where did you find the data on the diameter of your Idler Wheel?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kenwood KP-5021.jpg (52.4 KB, 501 views)
Old 1st November 2009, 01:06 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default idler wheel

dnorth52,
That information came from the audio-heritage website but everything is in Japanese...
They also have information on the kp--5021

Good luck on restoring the turntable. When restored and with a very good 9" arm fitted in place the Kenwood could easily outperform a restored Thorens or a Garrard idler drive.

Last edited by honinbou; 1st November 2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 1st August 2010, 03:23 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I recently found one of these at the rubbish dump and was given it for free. It is in good condition physically but it has a 115 volt transformer and we here in Australia have 240 volt so I don't know how it was used. It has a spring that has become unattached so hopefully I will find where it goes.
I only pulled the bottom from it yesterday and noticed the belt rim drive. I have had many many turntables over the years and have never seen it before and after reading this thread I am very impressed with it. I know it had a great tone arm when I first saw it and that is why I asked about it. I might have to see if I can get it running and sell my Denon DP-33F.
Old 1st August 2010, 02:56 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I must have been blind yesterday as today I again pulled off the platter and discovered the 110--230Volt switch. Hopefully tomorrow my eyesight will be better again and I will see where the spring attaches to.
Old 26th October 2011, 08:50 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I will be getting a Kenwood KP-5021 soon and I would like to know more about this table's performance and how it compare to other vintage models in the idler drive genre. Also things about its mechanical nature and maintenance, etc.... All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!