Newbie diy turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone, I've done a good bit of reading on the boards, but this is my first post. Just to introduce myself - I'm a soon-to-be first year law student from Atlanta. I spend the majority of my free time fishing and golfing, but lately I've fixated on audio to keep me happy on rainy days. I have a cheapo sony turntable, 80's JVC amp (hand me down from dad), and some decent klipsch computer speakers right now.

I enjoy woodworking, so I thought my first diy project could be a turntable. The altmann design I've seen looks pretty cool, but I was thinking of taking it up a notch, and drilling the platter and plinth to fill with lead shot. I'm also planning to wrap the plywood body with a nicer looking mahogany.

I'm pretty excited about my first audio project, but I have no idea how to go about getting a motor. I've seen the floppy drive conversion that looks pretty cool. Has anyone tried it? Is there somewhere I can salvage a motor and controller that might be better/easier on someone like me?

-Sean

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the world of turntables. I too are on the same path. :)

The altmann design is a good point to start with. What I would suggest is the following:
1. Layered plinth
2. Acrylic/Wooden platter
3. Premotec motor.
4. Silk drive - You can go for surgical suture.
5. External motor supply

Best regards,
Bins.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.