Well tempered labs tonearm - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2010, 08:34 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info ReinoutdV.

I've been eyeing some of my cf tubes again because of your recent work. I was planning on building a new tonearm with one after I finish a current project. Cutting the shafts to length neatly was always something that bothered me. I guess I can always try the dremel technique.
Old 25th June 2010, 02:30 AM   #92
dtut is offline dtut  United States
diyAudio Member

Capt Zach,

If you're asking about cutting CF to length, a cheap ($5) hardware store tube cutter worked surprisingly well on golf club shafts.
Old 26th June 2010, 12:43 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tip dtut. I will be sure to try it on my next tonearm project.
Old 6th July 2010, 09:40 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to binspaul
Post WTL US Patent Papers

Hi,

Please see the WTL US Patent Papers.

Best regards,
Bins.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WTL Tonearm - US Patent Paper.pdf (138.0 KB, 191 views)
File Type: pdf WTL Turntable Bearing - US Patent Paper.pdf (75.7 KB, 147 views)
Old 7th August 2010, 06:03 AM   #95
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to binspaul
Hi,

Finally, I received the carbon shafts for the arm. I am planning to try out the 9" arm. See the attachment for the details. Also, can we use the original arm flat disc concept (as explained in the patent paper) instead of the golf ball ? Please suggest.

Best regards,
Bins.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tonearm Alignment Parameters.pdf (77.2 KB, 179 views)
Old 19th May 2013, 03:49 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

I would like to ask you to attach a monofilament fishing line or a screw?
What kind of glue with help from, or in what way?
Old 9th August 2013, 11:46 AM   #97
Jay1234 is offline Jay1234  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Way up North, In Newcastle haven't seen the Sun for days
HI gents,

I am in the process of making a unipivot arm, But would also like to make the WTA with golfball, I have seen on Audiokarma site much info etc. but cant access the pics etc.

My question is How does one join the A K site ? as the question what does "LP" stand for has me stumped iv'e put in just about every combination but it just spits it back out
HELP
Old 9th August 2013, 12:31 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Try Long Play or Long Playing.
Old 9th August 2013, 12:41 PM   #99
Jay1234 is offline Jay1234  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Way up North, In Newcastle haven't seen the Sun for days
Yey thanks it was Long Play
Old 9th August 2013, 01:44 PM   #100
bgruhn is offline bgruhn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1234 View Post
HI gents,

I am in the process of making a unipivot arm, But would also like to make the WTA with golfball, I have seen on Audiokarma site much info etc. but cant access the pics etc.

My question is How does one join the A K site ? as the question what does "LP" stand for has me stumped iv'e put in just about every combination but it just spits it back out
HELP
Good luck and enjoy both the project and the completed arm. WTAs are excellent arms. I built a clone of the original WTA years ago and used it for a very long time.
Bill Firebaugh mentions somewhere that WTAs require very little antiskate force. I would like to mention my thinking on the reason for this. Immerse an object in silicone fluid, the thicker the better and drag it through the fluid you will feel resistance. The faster and harder you push the greater resistance you will feel. At low speeds the fluid flows around the object easily.

With conventional pivoted tonearms the skating force is greater at the start of the record and lessens as the arm travels across the record. Attach an object to the arm and immerse it in silicone fluid and there will be resistance to the object moving through the fluid. As the skating force lessens with the position of the arm on the record the pushback of the fluid will diminish also. The dimples on the golf ball provide lots of little paddles pushing their way through the fluid and being pushed back less as the skating force diminishes. So the WTA has self regulating antiskate force. The initial antiskate force is set by the angle and rotation of the suspension strings. IMHO this is by far the best solution to the skating problem existing today. To my knowledge no body has advanced this analysis of antiskating in the WTA. Comments please.

BillG

Hide this!Advertise here!