"DIN" Specifications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
of course there is a DIN that specifies those round multi-pin connectors, mostly referenced as 'DIN plugs'.
DIN specifies standards and rules of technique for Germany. These things do not need to be german inventions.
Looks like an adaptor with standard five pole jack pinout, but missing shield clamp on one side. What about the other side?
I don't think you would find a DIN describing this adaptor as a whole.
regards

Juergen Knoop said:
Looks like an adaptor with standard five pole jack pinout, but missing shield clamp on one side. What about the other side?

Nothing's on the other side. And it's not an adapter. It's the same basic connector as these:

furutech-fp-din-straight-phono.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is the Analogue forum isn't it?

se

Sorry for the misdirection, I thought you were talking about DIN connectors not Japanese tonearm connectors . The picture makes it clear that it is the latter.

I remember Jonathan Carr saying that it did not actually conform to any published standard but was a de facto standard adopted by the Japanese tonearm makers. Perhaps you could ask Jonathan directly

I remember Jonathan Carr saying that it did not actually conform to any published standard but was a de facto standard adopted by the Japanese tonearm makers. Perhaps you could ask Jonathan directly [/B]

Funny you should mention that.

Someone over on Audio Asylum mentioned the JIS standard, and from that I was able to find a post by Jonathan over there where he explained it. I just sent him an EMail.

se

DIN = "Deutsches Institut für Normung" - teh German Stardaization Institute -also known as a german set of standards for a vast number of things - comparable to BS- British Standards... US equvalent organisation name??
The DIN 45500 was/is a set of spec's to be fulfilled for audio eqp. to be met in order to use the term HiFi........

There's also another version often known as " Mini DIN" - to some maybe more commonly known as PS-2...........

Here's a link to a spec of the most common so-called DIN connectors:
https://www1.elfa.se/data1/wwwroot/webroot/Z_DATA/04224796.pdf

More info here:
http://hifi-stereo.suite101.com/article.cfm/din_hifi_vintage_audio_interface_matching

AuroraB said:
Seems to match well with the 5p/240deg DIN verion in my first link above......?????

Not really, the pin PCD, diameter and length are different, which is why you more or less have to buy one from Cardas at a very inflated price compared to, say, a high-quality DIN from Neutrik.
DIN on the left, five-pin tonearm connection on the right.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.