AT 3482 cartridge on a Dual 510?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I gave up and had my Dual 510 looked at by a repair shop. Turns out my Shure cartridge is toast. They recommended I put an Audio Technica 3482 in it.

From what I can tell from a few searches, it is a good unit and also at a great price. They want to charge me $60 for the cartridge (no stylus) and to set it up. From what I can tell, this should not be very complicated to install - nor is the setup of the arm. I can get the same unit online for $40 canadian shipped to my door. And I am thinking this includes the stylus.... I like them but I would prefer to save a few bucks.

Will the Shure N95ED stylus fit in the AT 3482?
What is the general consensus on this cartridge?

Thanks all!

Hi,

The Shure 95ED stylus (any Shure stylus in fact) will not fit the Audio Technica. They use completely different magnetic systems for one thing.

Pfansteil is best known as a brand of replacement stylus assemblies. Some of these have actually been the cartridge manufacturer's own replacements in Pfansteil packaging.

It looks as though the E-bay item is a repackaged Audio Technica cartridge. I expect this model is supplied by AT in bulk (wholesale) packaging for installation by dealers or turntable manufacturers, and Pfansteil then put their branding on a box for retail.

Ortofon have done the same with some of their OM series (called OMB, with "B" standing for Bulk). These were effectively the same as the cartridge sold singly, but without the fancy retail packaging.

HTH,

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.