What are you doing with your new Teres Bearing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2009, 09:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What are you doing with your new Teres Bearing

I opened a new thread for the purchasers of the Teres bearing group buy to share their build info.
Old 9th May 2009, 09:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Platter

I have chosen to go with the composite material. I was able to purchase 2 - 3/8 X1' squares as well as 2 1" X 1' squares. I plan to use my router circle jig to create 11 3/4" disk and bond the 1" peices together and drill 12 - 1 1/2 holes to put lead shot into and then bond the 3/8 peices to them. Then i plan to kerf 1/4 X3" Cocobolo and wrap it and cover the top with same. I will post some pictures when I get off my sorry butt and do it.

Bill
Old 10th May 2009, 12:59 PM   #3
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Default some background

"Please review my design" by Kilowattski

&

"Corian turntable fun" by valveitude

There are some references there for platter balance. Can someone point out more balance references?
Old 10th May 2009, 01:27 PM   #4
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Default more background

Under the heading of:

Rockport Sirius III

a great, lengthy dissertation on what happens when a platter spins, et al...

which was found here:

"DIY TT design" by Tee-Rex
Old 10th May 2009, 03:29 PM   #5
yioryos is offline yioryos  Canada
diyAudio Member

I had some polished 1/4" thick stainless steel plate from last summer,then just few weeks ago I bought two 8 feet long 2x6 solid maple wood,the actual dimensions are 1-1/2 X 5-1/2.I cut the maple into shorter pieces to joint them into two seperate butcher blocks.I will try to stack the 1-1/2" thick butcher blocks ,between the sheets of stainless steel plates.The final plinth will be composed of a bottom layer of 1/4"stainless steel plate,then 1-1/2" maple block,another 1/4" stainless steel plate,then the second 1-1/2" maple block,ant top 1/4" stainless steel plate.The final plinth will be 3-3/4" thick.Overall dimensions will be 13-1/2" X 16-1/2" with rounded corners.It is basically the rectangular table as showing at Teres .I run my plan through with Chris Brady and he liked it. For feet I got four aluminum Billy Bags tip toes meant to be used for their pro amp stands.They seem to match my design esthetically and they are big and solid,so if I don't find some better alternative I will be using those.
I was told by a machinist to bolt the materials for my plinth together first and then he will mill the whole stuck to ensure uniform edges.He said it will cost about 300-400$ for the milling and another $80 for shearing my plates down closer to size.The two stainless steel plates at the moment are 20-/12 X 26-3/4.
For arm I will be using the Rega RB1000 and possibly the Denon DL103 cartridge.
I don't have a platter yet and would like to know if other people would like to joint for a group buy to purschase a Teres type acrylic platter,I have a machinist who is highly skilled and can produce them for us.The more we order the lower the price per platter will be.

George
Old 10th May 2009, 03:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

One other thing that I forgot to mention.It was suggested to me by Chris Brady to drill few 1" holes through the maple and fill them with lead shot for dampening.
George
Old 18th May 2009, 03:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I noticed tonight that the Teres website is not responding.
George
Old 19th May 2009, 06:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Teres Website

Yes,
Pixelplay was trying to contact Chris and goggled Teres and found out from another forum the Teres site was being taken down by a hacked link.

Bill
Old 19th May 2009, 10:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes
That is correct,I found out from Audiogon.I hope Chris gets it resolved soon.
Bill what is your thoughts for a platter group buy?
Regards
George
Old 20th May 2009, 04:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I am constructing one so I will have no need for a group buy. It is such an expensive item to manufacture and ship. Chris is dropping his 200 series turntable and abandoning acrylic platters. I am convinced while they had their day their are better materials out there. I will be posting my progress on my platter as I make some, as usual work and life is attempting to disrupt progress. If the design works out sourcing raw materials may not be so prohibitive and allowing the final assembly to be performed at the destination a better DIY solution.

Bill

Hide this!Advertise here!