TT motor spindle source - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2009, 03:43 PM   #1
BobM is offline BobM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TT motor spindle source

I'm aching to try Mylar tape to drive my VPI table. But the VPI spindle is a pinch type that holds a rubber O ring in a groove. So this is not compatible with 1/4" or 1/2" mylar tape, which needs to use a flat spindle.

Anyone know of an online source for spindles that I could check out? I have a speed controller so I'm not overly worried about the outer diameter being exactly right. More the inner diameter (.1872") to fit on the motor capstan and the height of the spindle so it reaches up to where it need to to align with the platter.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 8th May 2009, 02:15 PM   #2
BobM is offline BobM  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow, I feel like I really stumped the experts here. No reply at all, as Phil Collins said/sang.

Surely there's got to be a source for this part, since all turntables use this. I can't believe they all have them custom manufactured.

Bob
Old 8th May 2009, 02:36 PM   #3
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by BobM
I can't believe they all have them custom manufactured.
That's exactly what they do.

If you use Mylar tape (which was very specifically designed not to stretch), you're going to discover a few problems:

Getting belt tension right so that it doesn't slip will be critical.
Those motor bearings are going to have far more of a load on them.

I'm considering tape for a future project and have come to the conclusion that the motor will require a rebuild with better bearings, further apart, so as to withstand the side load. Not trivial.

Hide this!Advertise here!