TT motor spindle source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm aching to try Mylar tape to drive my VPI table. But the VPI spindle is a pinch type that holds a rubber O ring in a groove. So this is not compatible with 1/4" or 1/2" mylar tape, which needs to use a flat spindle.

Anyone know of an online source for spindles that I could check out? I have a speed controller so I'm not overly worried about the outer diameter being exactly right. More the inner diameter (.1872") to fit on the motor capstan and the height of the spindle so it reaches up to where it need to to align with the platter.

Thanks,
Bob

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
BobM said:
I can't believe they all have them custom manufactured.

That's exactly what they do.

If you use Mylar tape (which was very specifically designed not to stretch), you're going to discover a few problems:

Getting belt tension right so that it doesn't slip will be critical.
Those motor bearings are going to have far more of a load on them.

I'm considering tape for a future project and have come to the conclusion that the motor will require a rebuild with better bearings, further apart, so as to withstand the side load. Not trivial.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.