Lab 420 TT...Good/bad?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2009, 11:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Lab 420 TT...Good/bad??

Ok...I know next to nothing about turntables. I picked up a Lab 420, sold by Radio Shack, at a thrift store for $5.00...looks like an ok unit. Direct drive, weighted tonearm, strobe speed control. It operates really nicely, sounds good, ( I'm not a highbrow type listener, but I do know crap when I hear it). I know RS never made anything of their own, so it was made by some major manufacturer...doesn't look like any low-level BSR or Garrard I have seen. Any thoughts or info on it, or any ideas where I can find info? Also, one of the spring-cushion-feetthings is broken...anywhere I can get replacements? Thanks everyone who has replied to my other threads !!!!
Old 25th May 2009, 09:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Bump??
Old 26th May 2009, 11:53 AM   #3
kffern is offline kffern  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to kffern
You might have to send a picture before anyone will recognise it.
kffern
Old 26th May 2009, 10:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Photo

Ok...here's a photo I found of the LAB-400. Same TT except mine ( the 420 ) has automatic capabilities...record size setting too. Hopes this helps. As for the ? about rumble...do cartridges go microphonic...would a bad cartridge cause rumble ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lab400uj2.jpg (49.7 KB, 120 views)
Old 27th May 2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Gibbi is offline Gibbi  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the Lab 420 and it sounds great. I put a Grado Red on it and am very impressed. I don't know who made them for Radio Shack but the Lab 400 and 420 are keepers. If you are hearing a hum it is hard to say where it is coming from, many sources possible and you will have to isolate it. A link to another's review of this TT.

Lab 420
Old 30th May 2009, 08:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hey there,

Nice turntables, made by Hitachi for radio shack. They were equivalents to the Hitachi Unitorque line.
Old 8th January 2012, 01:11 AM   #7
kf4tqs is offline kf4tqs  United States
diyAudio Member

Are Hitachi and Realistic sister companies, or the same? Realistic makes a LAB-400 and 420--I'm about to buy one tomorrow, in fact, made by Realistic. I'm not sure about the rumble. Some people argue that direct drive TT's produce a rumble or hum, but I doubt it in the case of a LAB-420. What cartridge is installed?

Hide this!Advertise here!